Thursday, May 22, 2008

Off with her pants!

(That's a racy title! I suspect you all will be disappointed with what this post is really about. Sorry for the build-up. I didn't mean to oversell.)

I finally caved and bought my first pair of leggings today. (Well, my first pair since 1988. And my first pair since they came back in style, which embarrassingly, was two years ago already.)

I guess have been kind of wanting a pair for a while, but just couldn't bring myself to buy them. But I wore a short skirt to work today, unwittingly overlooking the fact that it was in the 60's and rainy, and, needless to say, I was freezing. So I headed to American Apparel at lunch, pushed my way passed the glaring shiny lame spandex, and picked up a pair in a basic black cotton/lycra blend that I could shimmy up under the skirt and wear, at least around the office, like it was an intended part of my outfit.

And, um, I fell in love with them. I didn't want to take them off. They are comfortable, completely flattering, and I can see why Lindsay Lohan wears them every day. I wore them for less than five hours and I am completely converted. I want to go back to the store and pick up four more pairs in different styles, begin wearing one every day of the week.

I can totally see how we all got sucked into this trend in the 80's - we found one great pair that really did make our legs look thin; the next thing we knew, though, we were buying similar pairs in colors that were maybe not as flattering - white lace and hot fuscia pink, let's say, just for fun, not reminiscent of anything in my closet - and then it was two years later and we were still wearing that first pair of flattering black only now the butt has stretched and sagged and the kneecaps slouched in the back and then someone else came up with the idea of patterns and the next thing you know I am attending family gatherings like this:



So, yeah. Maybe I'll just stick to the one pair for now. I obviously can't trust my own judgment.



8 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture is f'ing BRILLIANT.
And you're hilarious.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger The Flying Enchilada said...

Hilarious!! Ok, i admit, i want a pair too.

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha ha I had a similar pair of patterned leggings in 1986 or so.

My faves though, besides the black were my NEON YELLOW. With a big white t, red belt around hips and red flats.

I looked like Ronald Freaking McDonald

Sigh.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Tee hee! OMG, those were SO COOL back in the day. Those and the really baggy pocket version - do you remember those? Shit, I'm showing my age... ;o)~

LOVE the photo - you look adorable (really)!

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - in college in San Francisco in the early 90's, the fashion trend for women was a sweatshirt and leggings. I guess history really does repeat itself.

On the plus side, according to my best female friend, leggings are great for hiking in, so there you go.

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I going to have to pretend I don't know you now? Just kidding. Sorta.

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that Alyssa Milano?

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Green said...

Where are your baggy socks artfully draped at the bottom over the top edge of your white leather Keds with the rhinestones?

Umm, hi. I just wanted to suggest that you fold, rather than hang your sweaters. To avoid the hanger dimples in the shoulders of the sweaters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home