Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The big reveal

I haven't wanted to blog about it, but I guess I need to mention at some point that Albert and I broke up last week. I haven't wanted to blog about it not because I am upset - on the contrary, I am good - but because I think breakups are private and, really, there isn't much to say. It was mutual, something we had talked about before; I think the relationship just ran its natural course.

Of course I'm disappointed that what was great in the beginning didn't turn out to be enough in the end. And it's hard to get used to not talking to someone you were in contact with every day - especially when that person is genuinely warm and witty and fun to talk to. But ultimately, the relationship was really good for me. It was probably the most normal, adult relationship I've had in years. Like, a lot of years. And truthfully, I learned more about myself during the three months I dated him than I think over the last 31 years combined. (Almost 32, by the way...)

A few days ago, I signed back up for Match. I suppose maybe I could use a distraction and wanted to throw myself back in the game, but more than that, I feel energized. I feel, for the first time, like I actually have something to offer someone, that I am not weighed down by the baggage of my past, much of which I never even knew was there to begin with.

Of course, that energy has quickly been drained reading the same online profiles that were there six months ago, and new ones that may as well have been, for all the generic content I see. More disheartening than reading these profiles has been responding to them, answering the same questions over and over again - when did I move here, why did I move, Yankees or Red Sox? Telling the same story for three years now has gotten boring, even to me. Dare I say it, Internet? I think I may be entirely over myself.

I'm also kind of dreading the next step, having to decide how much more of my story to share in person. In my essay, I explained that I rarely told suitors about the blog - if the relationship worked, I didn't want to self-consciously self-edit; if it didn't, they didn't need to read why. Despite spilling the beans to Albert on the first date, that thought process still holds true. But now, thanks to my LA Times byline, this blog is much less anonymous - anyone with a search engine and a little patience can find it. Even if I never talked about blogging while dating again, it's only two Google searches away from doing the talking for me.

All cart before the horse, I suppose. Just something to think about now that I'm back in the saddle.

Labels:



9 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lori, please don't leave the internets. Don't make me start one of those online petitions!

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're brave, not only for writing about yourself, but for recognizing that the relationship had run its course. Good for you.

And I SO hear you about online dating.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the break-up, and for the reasons you say: it's tough when the start is so positive and hopeful and, for whatever reasons, it just doesn't become what you wanted.

As for the online dating... well, you've read my blog, so you know that I've had my own frustrations with it all. Haven't tried Match, myself, though I suspect it wouldn't be much different in experience.

Bah, ignore my negativity. I know it's tough to sell yourself, but from reading your blog I know you have a lot to offer. I'm sure the lucky guy is out there for you. :)

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strength, courage and wisdom. You have shown a tremendous amount of all 3. You do have so much to offer. Xo.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about the break-up but, I promise, the "right guy" is out there for you and it will be complete misfortune for me.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Sorry to hear about the breakup... that blows, but at least it sounds like you took away a lot of positive stuff from the relationship.

As a dude who's done online dating, I will tell you that most of us have been conditioned (translation: told by our female friends) to ask some kind of question in our opening e-mails in order to prompt a response. The questions you're getting are just a result of the info you've posted on your profile -- it's the most obvious things they've seized on (and with the Sox vs. Yankees thing, the thing they can relate to the most) to ask. I wish I could say that there are some guys out there who are more creative... but if I were sending you a note over Match, I might be inclined to ask the same stupid questions.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Tiny E said...

Sorry to hear about the break up but it sounds like you already have amazing perspective on it. That's 90% of the battle.

Good luck with Match. I'm looking forward to the stories.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that feeling all too well - going back online after a long break, hoping to find someone interesting enough to send an email to, but finding the same generic, paint by numbers profiles. That's why I don't do the online thing anymore. Instead, I rely on friends to set me up with people I have no interest in....Gotta have a sense of humor about it, though....Good luck!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Oh Lori, I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds like you are handling it quite well, though! I really hope this didn't have anything to do with your essay. If it did, you just KNOW you have to write a follow-up one, right?? ;o) Good luck with Match. It was always pretty icky when I was dating, but you just never know! Hang in there and keep reminding yourself of all you have to offer. (((HUGS)))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home