Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

The day after my essay ran, I received the following email from my mom, with the subject line, "You're terrific":

Hi Lor- If I haven't said this lately (at least I haven't said it yet today) you are terrific, fabulous, talented, and so generous to share your gift of writing with us, your devoted readers. I am so proud to know you, let alone have given birth to you. Enjoy your day and I will call you in the eve (my time). Love, your biggest fan, Mom.

She got the last part right - my mom is most definitely my biggest fan.

It is often said that the period between Thanksgiving and New Years is the loneliest time of year; I can attest that since I have moved to LA, the month between Mother's Day and Father's Day has been the hardest for me. My mom has taken to planning vacations for this week every year - perhaps to take her mind off the fact that I wouldn't be with her to celebrate anyway - and is now half-way through a two-week trip in Aruba. Despite the fact that we're thousands of miles away, I can't help but be reminded how lucky I am to have her unwavering, unconditional support so close to my heart.




4 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Happy Mother's Day Mrs. Macblogger!

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's face it: Mom's, as a general rule, rock. I've been catching up with my blogroll reading tonight and I've noticed one consistent truth throughout them all: there are some wonderful mothers out there who have raised some darn good kids. Present company included. :)

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Hilary said...

Aww! Happy Mother's Day to your mom!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

*SNIFF* What a sweetie!! I feel exactly the same way about my mom...you and I are very lucky to have such strong, loving, and supportive moms in our lives! YAY!

Those photos are fantastic! I love the one of you both as Miss America...you certainly are you mother's daughter, and that's a GOOD thing! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home