Thursday, May 01, 2008

When a personal blog gets personal -- or becomes the subject of an essay in the LA Times

Wow. When I wrote that last post, I had no idea my essay would be published so soon! Like, um, today!

Here it is, in the Calendar section of the Los Angeles Times:

The first time I blogged about a boyfriend, he broke up with me a week later. David didn't know about the blog, so it wasn't something he'd read; rather, I had jinxed my relationship status by announcing it. Or so I told myself, and the few readers who received my sheepish, embarrassed explanation. Perhaps, had I considered why it took five months to write about him, I might have realized that the relationship, not my acknowledgment of it, was the problem.

Click to keep reading
.

Some things you should know:

1. All names have been changed. Regular readers of this blog maybe have figured that out or might be a bit confused.

2. Word requirements for this section are 600-650 words. My first draft came in close to 900, and I managed to edit it down to 649 before submitting. I cut out a lot of fun, frivolous fodder, toned down my allegiance to alliteration, and generally, I realized that the old saying is true: when it doubt, cut it out. Makes for a tighter read. They cut another 30 words or so, but otherwise, it's nearly identical to the essay I sent in, and I am very happy with it.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments and support and for being such fabulous readers. Many of you are fabulous writers yourselves, and you inspire me every day. I hope to submit a few more column ideas over the coming weeks and months, and, while I have no desire to quit my day job, I'm more than a little bit hooked on this feeling.

Labels: ,



17 Comments:

At 2:24 AM, Blogger Karl Hakkarainen said...

Congrats, Lori, for making it to the Show. Not only that, but for giving us a fine piece of writing that gets at an important issue: how does a writer get along in society.

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE it. Congratulations, Lori! Great piece :)

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Hilary said...

Awesome Lori! Time to get that clip book started...

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Great stuff, congrats!!!

Thanks for helping to disprove that us writers aren't complete social misfits. :)

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Tiny E said...

Congratulations! I love it!

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This a a big deal. You should be SO proud. I am!!! I love the article, your writing. You're awesome. Xo.

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lori - I read the Times every day and came across your article. Great read! Too bad they didn't include your blog address. I had to do some searching. Glad I found you. Hope to see more of you in LAT.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

So excited for you. Totally deserved. I've already called my mom and told her to save the paper for me.

BIg fat love to you. xoxo

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off: obviously, contratulations on getting published. Wonderful achievement.

Second, praise for the piece: wonderfully written. It doesn't feel constrained by the word limitations imposed by the times, it flows nicely and has a great little punch at the end. Even better, it leaves the reader (namely, me) wanting to read more, which is exactly how the reader should be left.

Keep writing. :)

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Erika said...

Congrats Lori! That is great and as usual, the article was so fun to read. Hope you are doing well!

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE! I am so excited for you Lori! COngrats!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Diana said...

I have the paper if you'd like me to save it for you. I am sure you bought, or at least that's what I would've done, but if you want, let me know. Either way- congrats- what a fantastic article and you should be so proud of yourself.

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to be a "hater" and dive into the content of the article. But what's the deal with Peter giving you a toothbrush as his affection? If he really "got" blogging he would have giving you some link love. Total weaksauce!

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope "toothbrush man" knows how lucky he is!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Lori said...

You guys are awesome. Thank you. All. Seriously.

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FAN-TASTIC! Huge congratulations on a very well-written article.

Encore! Encore!

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I linked to your article from Go Nicole Yourself. Congrats on being published in the LA Times. That is so awesome! When I was a kid, I wanted to be a sports writer for the LA Times. Nevermind, that I went into science. Seeing a byline in the LA Times would be a dream come true!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home