Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Bugging out

Some people believe they have a guardian angel or a good luck fairy. I personally think I have been blessed with a fairy bugmother.

A few years ago, I wrote a long-winded post about my fear of waterbugs, and how they were one of the more significant reasons I fled New York. The only part of that story that bears repeating is in which I woke up one night to the sound of some weird, Victrola-like music playing outside my window. I had never heard the music before, and it seemed like nothing I would ever hear in this era. While I was listening, trying to figure out what it was or where it was coming from, I heard a more alarming sound - the clickety-clack of little roach legs running across my hardwood floors, settling somewhere under my bed.

Instinctively, I jumped up and out, grabbed the Raid from our bathroom, and commenced a 10 minute standoff until eventually I killed the little f#@ker in the corner. It was only as I waited for him to show himself that I realized at some point, the music had stopped. In the dead of night, in the darkness of the witching hour, I couldn't help but think it had been playing a wake-up call for my benefit.

This past Saturday night, I went to wash my face in the bathroom, and a bug swooped down from the ceiling and flew at my head. I couldn't tell what kind of bug, exactly, because I ducked for cover and ran screaming out of the room, but it had a thorax at least the size of a dime and more determination than I had courage.

I returned to the bathroom ready for battle with a bottle of Raid, a thick glossy magazine and a broom. I looked in every crevice, in every nook and corner, and eventually, in every other room of my apartment, but the bug was no where to be found. I went to sleep that night unsettled, but with little other option.

Sunday night, I woke up at 2:30 AM and instinctively knew. I don't know how - maybe I heard its wings flap against my wall, maybe I was highly attuned to the change in energy. But I sat up in bed, turned on the light, and waited, wondering. I even strained my ears for the familiar sound of the Victrola. Other than my racing heart, there was nothing to suggest anything was askew, but minutes later, I caught it fluttering behind my nightstand, inches from where my head had just been resting.

I jumped off the bed, grabbed my armor, but when I came back - can you guess? - the bug was nowhere to be found. I threw things at my night tables and banged my broom behind them, hoping to rouse the louse. I eventually dragged them and my bed more than a foot away from the walls, creating an island fortress from which I sat, ready to attack. I also checked my closet and the bathroom and the kitchen and the living room, but I couldn't shake the thought that it had all but shacked up, and was seconds away from storming my castle.

I sat awake for two hours, until 4:30 AM. Eventually I let myself lie down, or, more accurately, curl up in the center of my bed, and fell asleep with the lights on, gripping the can of Raid with one hand, my broom with another.

Last night, Albert sprayed Raid around the perimeter of my room, my bathroom, my bug-fearing brain. I still slept with the lights on, my bed in the center of the room. But sleep I did, and I'm praying that if there is still something haunting my home, that I can trust my Spidey sense to keep me safe from danger.

Labels: ,



9 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori, that was hysterical, and totally something I would do! Well told!

(And I hope you capture the bug soon!)

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger AmyBow said...

You slept in a nasty wooden cabin for 6 summers or so of your life and haven't gotten used to the bugs, eh? Or maybe it was camp that traumatized you. Nothing worse than hearing a mosquito buzz around your head and praying that it doesn't land...

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Erika said...

I can sympathize...I check the ceilings of my room and the kids' rooms every night for spiders, bugs, etc. I wish I had more courage concerning insects but even Fear Factor commercials used to make me nervous.

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the gift of Spidey Sense too. I spot spiders that are never meant to be seen -- I mean, up in the corner where the ceiling meets the wall. IN THE DARK!

When I scream for my husband to come in AND GET RID OF IT NOW!!!!!!!!!, I have to point it out to him (several times) and he's all, "How the HELL did you FIND that!?!?!?!" to which I reply, "I didn't FIND anything! It's RIGHT THERE... IN MY FACE!!!" (Yeah, 5 feet over my head, squished into the corner. Whatever. If they're in the room, I know it... it's the power that we have...)

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS. I can totally picture you sleeping w/ the lights on in the middle of the room clutching the raid. I would've moved to the living room. You're brave!

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

During the first year of graduate school, my apartment had ants and it wasn't just a couple, I was afraid an army of them would kidnap me and take me to their queen!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Tiny E said...

Ugh. I have no idea how you could ever go to sleep knowing that it's out there. As you know, I had an epic battle with a waterbug and I would not (could not) sleep until one of us was dead.

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The part about the roaches reminds me of my old apartment. *shudder*

Sounds like a moth. Gotta say, between your moth and my neighbors screaming at each other at 2:30 in the morning, I think I'd take the moth.

At least I can shoo him outside.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks, Hil, me too!

AmyBow, I can deal with mosquitoes. This was no mosquito!

Erika - oddly, I can also deal with spiders. It's the bugs of a certain size and flying variety that absolutely freak me out.

Dawn - how hilarious. I would actually like you to come over, then. You would be the perfect person to have in a situation like this.

OMG, Abby, I totally thought of sleeping in the living room. My thinking, though, was that I had possibly scared it out of my bedroom into the living room, and if I moved, I might just be following it. Kind of like, lightening doesn't strike twice, you know?

Noj - Ants are gross but I could probably deal with ants more better than this. Well, maybe not actually. That's rough.

TinyE - I totally thought of you while writing this!

Geekhiker - I thought it might be a moth too, from when I heard/saw it behind my nightstand; but I'm pretty sure that whatever flew at me in the bathroom was no moth. Also, moths really like the light, right? This one seems to thrive in the dark. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home