Wednesday, December 19, 2007

One more reason to get Lasik

This particular week in December is seeming to prove a busy one for me. Last year I made mention that with so much going on, I was somewhere between forgetting my focus and losing my mind. Last night, I was reminded that this is less a prep week for Christmas and more like practice for Crazytown.

Last night, I was so out of it (but completely sober, mind you), I went to bed with my contacts in. I don't mean that I drifted off on my couch still wearing them. I mean, I got ready for bed - brushed my teeth, changed into pajamas, turned out the lights, and crawled under the covers fully ready to embark on seven hours of slumber - without performing the one ritual I have been conducting since I got contact lenses nearly 20 years ago.

When my alarm went off this morning, I did notice that the "snooze" and the "disable" buttons looked unusually furry; after a brief worry, though (Glaucoma?), I hit "snooze" and went back to sleep. I eventually got up to shower and figured I had just been extra groggy.

It wasn't until I was almost done with my shower when I realized my mistake. With corrected vision, my normally-nearsighted eyes couldn't read the alarm functions half-an-inch from my face, but the shampoo bottles at the other end of the tub sat clearly, unnaturally, in focus.



6 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny! I often wonder what happens to those contact lenses that never came out of my eye. I think they must still be in there someplace. One day I'll find them.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I've been thinking about Lasik too -- been wearing glasses since the 3rd grade, and I'm a little sick of it. I'd like to be able to wake up in the morning or get out of the shower and be able to see stuff without having to grab around for the glasses...

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Hilary said...

LASIK is amazing! I started wearing glasses when I was 5 and couldn't wait to get LASIK. I had it about 8 years ago, and the lasers are SO much better now. Let me know if you decide to seriously consider it...my dad knows some doctors up here that he has referred his patients to as well.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger *kb* said...

Funny, that makes me remember a time when I was dating The ME and he woke up in the middle of the night and realized he hadn't taken his out, so he did it right there in bed and threw them on the floor. :-) I'm so thankful for perfect vision!!

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is hysterical. I love that it took you so long to notice.

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, have been tempted by the Lasik. I asked my eye doctor about it a couple of years ago and he still didn't recommend it.

My biggest fear is that I love photography, and the idea that I might fall into that slim margin of error and have that view of the world taken away from me terrifies me.

So for now, with glasses will I stay...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home