Thursday, December 21, 2006

Adding junk to my trunk

The holidays make me crazy. Maybe that's why I'm losing things left and right. Now, I am apparently forgetting things as well.

The holidays make me crazy because there are so many people to see, and each of those people has a need to stuff homemade cupcakes, cookies and candy down my throat. The ones that don't want me to eat their homemade confections insist we meet for dinner and order someone else's handcrafted goodness, usually in portions twice that of what I would make myself. Don't get me wrong - I love seeing my friends and enjoying the merriment of the season. But I love not having fat rolls even more.

I met friends for dinner after work on Tuesday, which meant that Wednesday would naturally be a gym night for me. Except that Wednesday was the only night another group of friends could meet, my best friends in LA, and I really wanted to see them before we all left for the holiday. But, no problem! I thought. Work has been super slow, so I could duck out a bit early, hit the gym for a full workout, shower and change there, and make our 7:30 reservation in Hollywood, which was closer to my gym than my home, anyway. This will work out perfectly!

I don't usually shower at the gym, because that means I have to lug all sorts of crap like face wash, makeup, hair stuff, etc., not to mention an extra set of clothes to change into. But on Wednesday morning, I packed all that into my gym bag, so it was bursting from the top. I ducked out of work a half hour early and made it to the gym by 5:15. I changed out of my 50 layers (because it is FREEZING here - what is up with that, Huphter?) into my gym clothes, and then I realized: I had left my sneakers at home. MY SNEAKERS. AT HOME.

Now, I've forgotten socks before. Many times. So what do I do now? I keep extra pairs in the trunk of my car, just in case. For days that I forget my iPod, I have an extra set of headphones that plug into the gym's entertainment. And when I bought a new pair of trainers a few months ago, I had the passing thought of, Hmm, I should leave my old ones in my trunk. Just in case. Did I do that? NO.

There was no way I could work out, and no way I was driving all the way back to the westside, just to turn back around for dinner in Hollywood. That is what we here in LA call crazy. So I went to my friend Laura's house to kill time and catch up and drink wine so I could forget about all the calories I wouldn't be burning.

This morning a well worn pair of Adidas found a new home in the back of my Acura.

Labels:



2 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Caroline said...

Hey, introduce me to your friends.. i'm freaking starving!

Lola x

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger shayze said...

That definitely sounds like something I would do! In fact, I can almost guarantee I have. I am ALWAYS losing stuff or forgetting it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home