Monday, November 26, 2007

When all the leaves are brown

I had started a Thanksgiving post last Monday, but, at 9:59 PM, I wasn't loving it, and put it on hold to watch The Bachelor. At 10:59 PM, I discovered I'd much rather write about that, so pardon me for not wishing anyone a happy Thanksgiving. Sometimes I can be such a turkey. Har.

I went home to Boston for the holiday, taking a red eye Tuesday night that delivered me into the 35 degree cold Wednesday morning. With the help of a Lunesta, I'd slept soundly on the plane, so when I saw the Dunkin Donuts by baggage claim, I decided to try and stay awake for the day, to hopefully acclimate to Eastern Standard Time. I don't even like Dunkin Donuts - my Starbucks addiction ensures that virtually anything else tastes like dirty bath water - but the smell of coffee at 6:30 AM was powerful enough to get me in line. I arrived at my mom's house by 7:30 , and by 8:30, I was passed out cold on the couch. I stayed that way til about 1. So much for acclimating.

It was a very low key and relaxing and enjoyable weekend. I saw a high school friend, some old family friends, and, naturally, my own family. Of course, any relaxing I got to do was promptly erased the minute I arrived back at Logan for the start of my six hour flight back to LA, but overall, it was great to see everyone and just have five days in a row in which I did not have to think about work. For that, I am very thankful.

For the last few years, my mom has been talking about moving away from the northeast. It's just too darn cold. Her joints ache more in the winter; the expansive skylight which, in a springtime showing promised a sun-drenched living space, in the winter simply lets in a constant draft that, even when the thermostat reads 70, keeps us both huddled in layers under blankets. And at 57, my mom has spent more than enough winters shoveling driveways, scraping ice off the car, and exerting herself in ways that no single woman of that age should.

A year ago she was looking at Florida and Myrtle Beach. I had suggested Southern California of course, as it would give me great relief to have her closer to me; but, even a year ago, it made me nervous. What if I got sick of it here? What if I wanted to move back? Or somewhere else? Essentially, moving my mom here was a guarantee that I would stick around, and I wasn't ready to make that kind of commitment. A year later, though, I am ready to pack up her house and drive her out here myself.

Why the change? I guess I just realized, I really love it here. And I really don't ever see myself back in Boston. Unlike when I lived in New York, and couldn't imagine where I'd go in a post-single life (New Jersey, Long Island, no thank you), I can quite easily imagine myself in many different areas out here. And I don't just mean the west side! San Diego, Orange County, even further east, I think I'd fit in almost anywhere.

I started looking at condos a few months ago, and that has solidified the fact that, barring any major catastrophes, I am committing to stay. Having my mom out here, too, would only make me feel better about it. But then there is the cost. Her two bedroom house in Massachusetts won't get her much in LA, so she'll probably look further south, closer to San Diego, or maybe up north, in the valley or Santa Barbara. As long as she's within 2-3 hours of me, we'll both be happy. If anyone has any suggestions for neighborhoods we should consider - for an active, sun-loving, adorable little mom - please, please, please let me know. For that I will be most thankful.

Labels:



9 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Where are you looking at condos? I'm probably going to start doing that next month...

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Diana said...

I wish I felt the same towards Cali as you do- I on the other hand can't wait to get back to the east coast- I'll even take the mid west for that matter. And I have kids and a purchased home in LA! I will get back one day- mark my words.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Sounds like a great plan! I really hope things work out for your mom to come to your state! Good luck in the search for homes - for BOTH of you! :o)

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that you think you'll stay. I like having you here already! I think Cali has so much to offer! La Jolla in SD is really nice and mom-appropriate (but may be pricey still in this market). Monetcito in SB is fab too (but again don't know about prices).

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents are on the beach in Del Mar and they love it. Anywhere in North County San Diego is great--check out Encinitas (where I grew up) all the way down the coast to SD. It's beautiful!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

In Los Angeles there are alot of areas that are decent for less money. Culver City is the new place to be in my opinion with a nice neighborhood feel. There are alot of areas south of the 10 freeway actually, depends on the street, Mar Vista, etc. Also out near Silverlake there are some nice places. The valley has lots of nice places to live also - from Woodland Hills to Studio City. Let me know if you have any questions about any of those areas and on condo shopping as well, as I have a wealth of info on that too...

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Scotty said...

I have lived in Sandy Eggo for a total of about 7 years now, love it... and there is plenty. As far as the lower prices go, youll probably want North County (closer to you also). Close to the ocean is always good as it gets hotter inland. I am originally from Oxnard (and parents still live there) and you can find some great places there (Port Hueneme and Ventura also) and its only 60 miles from central LA.

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be sure to be completely thorough with the local market research. Patience is a virtue.

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(here by way of the lovely *kb*)

I agree with Scotty, there are some really nice places up in Ventura that are still pretty reasonably priced, and they have some slow-growth initiatives that will (hopefully) prevent it from becoming another LA.

And since I wouldn't mind jumping into the housing market myself, I hope you'll share your findings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home