Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I think this is what they call a "vacation hangover"

It's funny - a week ago tonight I was totally stressing about leaving for Cabo, being in Cabo, getting everything finished in time for Cabo, and now I keep wishing it was exactly a week ago, back when I had the entire trip to look forward to.

The truth was, and it shames me to admit this even now, I wasn't really looking forward to it. Sure, five days in Mexico sounds great, but not when you are the only single person among 20 pairs of couples. Have you ever been the only single person at a wedding? Where, for a few excruciating hours, you are forced to make banal conversation with extended family, smile through the slow dances, and be ready to slip out the back should anyone mention the dreaded words "bouquet toss?" I was imagining five days of that.

Sure, it was my best friend getting married, but this wasn't exactly a girlfriend getaway. And my other best friend was there too - with her fiance; while they certainly would have tolerated it, I didn't want to impose my third wheel status on their otherwise-romantic weekend.

My saving grace was Maria's friend Erika, who, conveniently for me, left her husband and kids at home. Erika and I shared a hotel room, which helped cut down significantly on costs, but more importantly, gave me someone to eat breakfast with, order "two-for-one" drinks with, and generally, just keep company with, without feeling like a pathetic tag-a-long. It was like having a date for the wedding after all; better than that, I really, really liked her.

And, as it turned out, I really liked everyone else as well. Banal conversation was kept to minimum as I saw how fun the families were. Everyone there, it seemed, brought their "A" game, riding high on the natural jubilance set forth by the occasion. The weather was gorgeous, the Sheraton was top-notch, and, oh yeah, our closest friends were getting married. I was relieved early on to find that I was truly having fun, not just making nice to cover for my loneliness. It didn't hurt that the best man was single, too. How, exactly, had that information escaped me?

Aside from the company, the highlights of the trip were as follows:

- Lounging poolside, gazing at the ocean, having drinks hand-delivered by the hotel's plentiful wait staff. This activity took place every day.

- The rehearsal dinner at Panchos, a fun, authentic Mexican restaurant and tequila bar. I don't even like tequila but I think it ought to be an option at any formal dinner.

- Cabo Wabo. Because I love anything having to do with Van Halen.

- The ceremony itself took place in this old mission church in downtown Cabo San Lucas. Built in 1730, it was charmingly rustic, and, even though I am in no way religious, made me feel like I was part of something sacred. I cried as she walked down the aisle. And I don't mean I teared up. I mean, my throat closed and the tears fell and I could feel that my entire face was burning up and probably very ugly, but I couldn't help it. At least I wasn't as bad as the Groom's father, who didn't STOP crying throughout the entire ceremony, and every time I caught a glimpse of him I had to look away because he made the throat-lump return and I still had photos to pose for, thank you.

- Platform dancing. Palapa dancing. Hand-dancing. The Worm.

I knew I would have fun once I got there. Or at least I knew I could fake it. I just build things up in my head so much, dreading the worst, never dare hoping for the best. Truthfully, it's kind of exhausting. Is it possible to take a vacation from myself? Oh, wait, I think I just did.

Labels:



5 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

I've totally been the odd one out at weddings. I also went to a wedding I was dreading for being just that and it ended up being one of the best trips I took that year. It's great when your expectations are exceeded and you realize, you really ARE happy. So glad you had a good time on your trip!

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been the lone single at many weddings and other events and by and large despite my dread I almost always end up having a fabulous time.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Erika said...

Lori, I was telling my sister the same thing! Thank God I had you! You were a great date and my husband was not jealous at all! Now, I sit here at my computer after shoveling 10 inches of snow and all I can think about is how I long to be poolside with a Pacifico! Why do I live in Boston? Anyway, I think Maria and Andrew need to have a 1 year anniversay in another tropical location!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger GeekHiker said...

For what it's worth, it's just the same on the other side of the coin. Having been the only single guy in attendance at a wedding, I can tell you it pretty much stinks just as much.

Of course, you happened to be in Cabo, whereas I was in downtown LA. *jealous* *wink*

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww, give Maria my best wishes! Photos of friends from yester-year make me feel nostalgic. I've been the only unattached person in a wedding party, I feel for you. Even though, there wasn't Mr. Maybe with you this time, chances are Mr. Right is running late. Sometimes the White Knight really has to feed his Stallion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home