Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Attn: HR at VH1

I was browsing my connections on LinkedIn today, and giggled when I came to a coworker who listed "extensive knowledge of pop culture" as a Specialty. I laughed not because I thought it didn't belong there, but because I knew it did! However odd it may seem to others, the two of us live in a society and work in an industry in which pop culture knowledge is, in fact, a marketable skill.

I think it's fair to say, though, that when it comes to pop culture, I'll give anyone a run for their money. Back in high school, my senior prophecy predicted that I would grow up to write a book of Brady Bunch trivia. A similar book had come out around then, and I, an avid viewer more adept at trivia than trigonometry, memorized the whole thing. While the prophecy was literal and lazy on the part of my peers, I always believed there was some truth to it. I'm in no way eager to cover The Brady Bunch exclusively, but writing about my pop culture passion is something I could see myself doing, well, now. Whether it's nostalgic icons and references from my childhood or the "who's wearing who" on the red carpet today, my brain - parched when it comes to politics and stock portfolios - effortlessly absorbs this kind of information like a heavy hydrating hand creme.

Only a few minutes after I left LinkedIn and went back to work, my friend Maria called me. "I have a question," she prefaced, sounding almost sheepish for calling but overcome with the need to know the answer. "I thought if anyone would know, it would be you."

What is it? I asked.

"Is Britney pregnant?"

I laughed again, and, while clicking over to Perez Hilton just to make sure there were no further updates, I explained that while In Touch was reporting that Miss Brit was, in fact, four weeks prego, Britney herself (well, via a friend) sent a text to Ryan Seacrest to clear things up: it's simply not true.

We had a good laugh and after we got off the phone, I pondered which made more of a statement about the state of my brain, the state of my life: that my friend thought to call me about this or that I, naturally, knew the answer.

Labels:



1 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Naturally, it's both: you always seem to know the answers, so your friend(s) automatically think of you when they need to know something. That's a compliment, in my opinion! Ha!

So, are you going to write a book? You really should...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home