Tuesday, December 04, 2007

To be wild again, no one's child again

So! I'm going to Cabo tomorrow!

After five years of dating and a two year engagement, one of my best friends, Maria, is about to get married!

I considered posting part of my speech on here, to give you all some background as to my friendship with Maria, but then I got scared that if it really sucked, you'd all feel bad for me. Like, you wouldn't really be able to tell me it sucked because you're all too nice, and, anyway, I won't be checking email before the wedding. THEN you'd just imagine me totally bombing at the reception and that would be awkward for both of us, Internet. Don't worry - I'll be hearing crickets anyway. Half of Maria's family isn't so bueno at the old habla Ingles, so my speech could totally kick ass and half the room still won't be able to understand it.

Not that I'm stressing about it. At all. I'm more stressed at having yet another flight to catch, and remembering everything I need for the ceremony, the rehearsal, and five days in Mexico. Stressing that I forgot to take cash out today, that I still haven't called AT&T to find out if I get International service, and whether my body will decide to retain water the day of the ceremony or the day after when I plan to wear nothing but a bikini from sunrise to sundown.

I'm also stressing about what to do with my two dozen long stemmed roses. I was thinking I should pluck the petals tonight, save them for a potpourri, but the bouquets are still so gorgeous, I hate to ruin them now. If I leave them, though, they'll be a big old mess on Sunday, and I don't feel like walking into an apartment that smells like rotting roses, reminding me even more so that I need to let this guy - this sweet, good looking, athletic, seemingly cool but clueless guy - go.

Thank GOD I have a vacation scheduled for tomorrow. I need to chill the f*<& out.

Thanks everyone who commented on my last post. I want to clarify that it's not that I don't like this guy because he's too nice. I'm not one of those girls that likes bad boys, that gets off on the chase or the challenge; in fact, I really only date nice boys and, at 31, I don't bother playing games or following The Rules. But there are certain unwritten rules when it comes to dating, and this guy is too available. He calls me every day. Wants to see me twice a week, and offers to change his plans when I tell him I'm busy. We've spent a cumulative total of about 6 hours together, but his actions speak more to a three-month relationship than someone I'm just trying to get to know. There's just something off about it, and I don't have the time or energy to figure it out.

Honestly, how do people date? I don't have enough time to see my friends - people I actually like and care about - let alone meet crazy people all over town. No wonder I'm single. I would rather go to the gym any night of the week than risk meeting yet another person that, at the end of the day, just stresses me out.

When Maria met Andrew, they just knew, we all knew. Maria, even more so than me, is a no-frills, no-nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is kind of gal. But when she met Andrew, I watched as her heart melted and her eyes went googly and she developed a kind of semi-permanent lopsided grin I had never, ever seen before. It's my barometer for relationships, in a way. And until I can have that, I'd rather just be single.

It's not like I've had a bad time of it, thus far.
Slideshows, free photo Hosting make your own slideshow view all photos



5 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

I hope you have a wonderful, fun, stress-free trip. You definitely deserve it!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Hilary said...

Have a great trip! Re: the flowers...you can hang them upside down somewhere and dry them out.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger AmyB said...

Have a wonderful time! You certainly deserve a vacation!

As for your speech, I know it will be amazing. And Maria will cry. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a present. ;o)

Can't wait to hear how it went!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger GeekHiker said...

Figures, I just started reading your blog and you head off on vacation! LOL

Have a wonderful trip, and don't worry about the speech, you'll do fine. :)

As for dating in this town, geez, I could write a 300 page book on the stresses of meeting people in this nutty town...

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post! I love your sense of perspective, self-awareness and how you just seem so comfortable in your own skin. Enjoy Cabo!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home