Wednesday, March 02, 2005

How to move to LA without a job

Edited on 6/15/08 to add: if you really want to know how to move to LA, read this post which is much more informative than the one below.

1. Have a trust fund.
2. If you don't have a trust fund, believe in good luck and that you can get some. Or, just keep the same credit card you've had for ten years so your maximum is really really high. Then, believe that the good luck fairy will let you pay it off before declaring bankrupty becomes a serious option.

I heard back from the small agency today. They loved my marketing strategy and want to fly me out there for a second interview within the next two weeks! Very exciting, but I just don't have the time. I am going to Boston Sat - Tues, and then I want to be back here for a few days before my "going away party" for wardrobe selection, tanning, that sort of thing. Also to continue my job search and begin selling my furniture, pack, etc. Then, next Tuesday, I am actually flying to Chicago for the day to do a final agency summit/transition, so that kind of cuts in my week. I'll come back late Wednesday night, and then I will only have Wed, Thurs, and part of Friday - because then, on Friday - I AM MOVING TO LA!

I liked Karen, the woman I met with, and I think the accounts would be easy. I'd also be flying into NYC on a regular basis. My big problem is that the company does not offer 401K or Dental, two deal breakers for me. I am also wary that they will be too similar to my current company, but that is a hunch; the other is fact. I am going to write her back tomorrow and see if the interview can wait two weeks when I am actually THERE, and possibly do another phoner in the meantime. In an ideal world, she could start dental coverage just for me, or hire me as a freelancer while I look for something permanent. I'm sure I am jinxing myself just by writing this. So we'll see. I'm in a good position right now. See Gemini on astrologyzone.com.

Also on the work and money front, M gave me a freelance assignment for a quick $500, and I just got my next two assignments for the skin care brand, so hopefully my first weeks in Los Angeles won't be spent eating the dirt in my front yard. (Yes, I will have a front yard - it is next to the DRIVEWAY). Last night I was laying awake worrying about money; today I am temporarily reassured. I also have a potential lead with H&S, so we'll see where that goes. Cross fingers, good luck fairy!

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home