Sunday, February 20, 2005

One year ago I was shopping at Fred Segal

I just realized something rather monumental: it was this time a year ago that I went to Los Angeles for the FIRST TIME EVER. It was last February, a week before the Oscars, when I somehow scammed my way onto a client trip and into a $475/night room at the Peninsula for three nights, then extended my stay with Tracy into the weekend, sleeping on the pull-out bed in her parent's guest room in the Valley. It all came down a year ago. My mother's life went to crap because of me a year ago.

My diamond client wanted to dress celebs for the Oscars. I went, and had the time of my life. I knew, even then, that I could move there. In the cab from the airport to the hotel, in the dark, I loved it. In five days of rain, I loved it. The first two nights, I stayed in. The second night, I ordered room service, and was so impressed when it came on its own table and silver trays. The third night I went out with Ryan, and he gave me the grand tour of the city - drove me through all parts, from BH90210 to Hollywood Blvd, to Venice Beach, to the bar where we met the rest of his friends.

The next day I had off, so went shopping at the Beverly Center. When I got bored, I started drinking - first at the bar at the Beverly Center, next at the bar at The Peninsula, where I met some fun friends. Then, Tracy picked me up, and we met her friends for dinner and drinks, before heading back to the valley for the night. The next day we went shopping at Fred Segal and a few other places, and then we met Seth out that night for his MC/charity event.

That was one year ago. A year ago and a week and a half later I called my mom drunk and told her I wanted - or needed - to move to LA. It was said, and thought about, and then, ultimately, forgotten, until Summer. I went again for work, re-met with Ted and Carson Daly, and the rest is History. By the time of Hello Kitty, it was hello new City, goodbye NYC. And a month out, I await my new life to begin.

LOVE, LORI

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home