Sunday, June 15, 2008

How to Move to LA, Part II, 3 years later

A while ago, I noticed that the single most common search term that brought people to this blog was, "How to move to LA." Back when I was still living in New York, I penned a post with that phrase in the title, and have gotten a fairly steady stream of traffic from the term ever since. Unfortunately for those people, however, the post didn't really explain how to move to LA - at least not past the point of my packing for it. So when one reader emailed me a list of specific questions, I thought I should publish my answers here to hopefully help out anyone else who finds this in the future.

Since I am only one person with one set of experiences, please feel free to offer any additional advice or alternate viewpoints in the comments section.

There's a negative vibe I get from the media, from conversation, and from others that LA is a place where EVERYONE is just trying to make it and that making new friends is hard. What do you think about this judgment? Adding to that, if I moved to LA, I would know only two people, both of whom I don't really know.

Well, first, "everyone" is a sweeping generalization. LA is an ambitious town, and the entertainment industry is highly competitive, but that doesn't have to define your experience. Before I moved, I heard the same thing - that LA people are shallow, vapid, out for themselves. I pictured a city full of Ari Golds and Cher Horowitzs. And yeah, they're here. But people are people, and I truly believe there are good, solid, down-to-earth people everywhere, including LA. It's easy for me to believe that, because many of those people are my friends.

That said (and I am going to repeat that phrase a lot in this post), it's hard to meet people anywhere as an adult without a job, a spouse, or other friends to introduce you around. I had a lot of "acquaintances" when I moved here - people to grab drinks with, really - but only one good friend. Through her, I met some other good friends, then I met more good friends through my job, and more good friends through this blog. But it wasn't always fun - I spent a year constantly feeling "on", like I was going on interviews - and in the process, I had a lot of nights where I wished I had just stayed home.

I would start networking as much as you can, talking to people, if only online, that will meet you for a drink once you move. When you do move, stay busy. Join Meetup.com or an online dating service. Go to the beach, museum, volunteer. There's no shortage of activities here, and I've found that most people are pretty friendly. Most everyone in LA was new here at some point, and I think half of us came from New York.

Best ways for finding a place to live or share with others?

Craigslist and Westside Rentals. I never had to use WR because I took over my friend's apartment, but that's pretty much what most people use.

Is there a community that is safe, near the movie business, and not impossible to rent in if you have roommates - something where you can walk to stores, restaurants, nightlife. What would be your favorite place to live in and why?

First of all, the movie business is pretty broad, and I'm not sure what you are looking to do. (Act, produce, direct, edit, represent, etc.) That distinction is important, because the business is all over LA. While the studios (Disney, Warner Bros, Paramount, Universal) are mostly concentrated in Burbank and Hollywood, the talent agencies (CAA, Endeavor, etc.) are in Beverly Hills and Century City and editing houses, post-production, etc. are all over.

Studio City and other areas of the Valley are probably some of the most affordable areas where young people live, but you can't really walk anywhere. And while Ventura Blvd has some great restaurants, it's not known for its nightlife. Hollywood and West Hollywood might be a bit more expensive, but - especially in West Hollywood - you can walk or take cabs to a ton of great bars and clubs.

If I were you, I would try to find temporary housing (no lease) until you get a job, and then decide where to live. You could find a great place in Studio City and bank on getting a job at nearby Disney or WB, only to end up working at Sony way down in Culver City, which would be a miserable commute.

I've heard great things about Silver Lake and Echo Park, two (I think) relatively-inexpensive yet charming areas northeast of Hollywood. Unfortunately, I don't really know anyone that lives there, so if any readers have info to share, please do.

Personally, if I could live anywhere, it would be Santa Monica. It's a pretty, laid-back-but-citified beach town with good shopping, restaurants, and nightlife within walking distance. It's a bit quieter than I would have liked in my 20's, but at 32, it's exactly what I think I want. (It's also a bit expensive to purchase a condo, which is why I don't live there now.)

What's the weather like year-round? Are there clothes you don't wear anymore, like coats, etc? Do dark colors go out the window for men who dress in nice slacks and button downs for work and lighter colors are used, or is it like the east coast and dark is still a starting point.

One word: jeans. Guys here wears jeans. Unless you are an agent, suits and dress pants are rare. For the most part, everyone - especially in the more creative fields - wears jeans or cool pants paired with some combination of ironic t-shirts, blazers, sweaters, or jerseys. I'm not suggesting you go on an interview like that, but you'll see very quickly that things are much more casual than they are in New York. Button-downs here are more likely to be vintage patterns from Urban Outfitters than tailored trims from Brooks Brothers. I wouldn't worry so much about the colors as the style. You won't see a ton of people wearing gray wool slacks, but it's not Miami, either.

The weather is great, temperate, dry. It's heaven in the winter and a bit cool for my taste in the summer (I like it hot!) but overall, it is fabulous. Keep a winter coat for trips back east, but I gave away all but a few of my wool sweaters. Even in the coldest weather (40's in the winter) you're probably not going to feel comfortable in the preppy Apres-ski style so popular in New York.

I know you're not in the film business, but suppose someone with limited cash moves to LA to try and find an entry-level film job and hopes for the best. What is your reaction to hearing this - the feasibility of it all (monetary suicide/starving) or can it be done in some way?

Well, you're right - I'm not in the film business so I can't give you specifics, like the number of open jobs or the likelihood of you finding one. I have heard, and have experienced, that yes, you really need to know someone. In LA, and in the entertainment biz in general, who you know is often more important than what you know. So start networking. Do you have a college alumni group you can contact? Family friends? Former employers with contacts out here? Get talking.

That said, I had a handful of professional connections when I moved out here. They were all very nice and helpful, but none led to my current job. That, I got randomly off of Monster.com, due to my experience. So take that for what its worth.

Obviously you know that the economy is horrible right now, and I wouldn't suggest picking up and moving without some money in the bank. I had about $8000 saved when I moved here, a small stream of freelance work, and I had paid my first month and a half's rent when I was still getting a paycheck in New York. So I felt okay about my risk. That said, I was also dying to move here, and nothing could stop me. If this is your dream and you have no major debt or commitments back home, I say take the plunge! What do you have to lose? Worst case scenario is that you move back. Just start saving as much money as you can, and have a plan in mind about, at what point, do you start applying to Starbucks? How badly are you willing to work to make it?

Any recommendations if getting a job before moving isn't a possibility?

Network. Save as much money as you can. Sell the stuff you don't need. Be prepared to work at Starbucks or waiting tables or in retail. I would also take a trip out here, just to make sure that you like it. See if you can set up some informational interviews. Get a feel for the city and the industry you want to work in. Make sure it's something you really want. If you aren't comfortable staying with friends, look for a housing swap on Craig's List. Start a blog about your experience. Get some advertisers.

(As an aside, I tried pitching my move to MTV as a documentary special, hoping they might finance it: Spunky NYC girls packs up and moves across the country! Watch as she navigates finding a job, driving a car, and looking for love in the land of La! They didn't go for it, but hey, I tried.)

What are some things you could not have known about LA, or didn't believe until you lived here, i.e. traffic.

Honestly, I didn't expect to be continuously surprised by it's beauty. LA does get a bad rap in the press (smog, people, congestion, vapidity) but even after three years, I am still finding amazement in the architecture, the ocean, the desert, the views. I guess I just assumed it would have gotten old by now, the way New York did. Other than that, I really had no idea what to expect, and came here with little-to-no expectations.

What is the price of brand name gas (Amoco, Mobil, etc.)?

Currently, at this very second, my local Mobil is selling it for $4.61/Regular. That will probably go up to $4.64 tomorrow. It has been going up about $0.03 every other day. Only two or three weeks ago, I was paying $4.29. It is miserable.

Are necessities in general more expensive?

Compared to most areas of the country? Yes. Compared to New York, they are actually cheaper. I remember on my first morning here, realizing my daily Tall drip at Starbucks was $0.25 cents less than in New York. That's a savings of $1.75 per week, $7.00 per month, $84.00 per year. That's a pair of shoes! Groceries are less expensive (compared to New York) and I can buy in bulk and throw in my trunk, rather than carry up four flights of stairs and into my single kitchen cupboard. Dinners out are less, alcohol costs less. All compared to New York. Rent is less, or if you live in a more expensive area, comparable to New York, but you get so much more. I wouldn't recommend making the opposite move.

Any tips for saving money that you might have picked up?

Shopping at Target. Buying in bulk. Having a car versus living in Manhattan has allowed me to do both these things which weren't an option before. Also, having to drive all the time has cut down on my drinking considerably, so my entertainment expenses are much lower. Trader Joes is usually cheaper (and better) than regular grocery stores. I signed up for the Spare Change program with Bank of America which deposits the balance of every dollar I spend on my debit card into my savings account. (So if I spend $5.64, $0.36 of that is automatically transferred to my savings.) I also have $50 per month automatically moved from my checking account to my savings account ($25 on the first of the month, $25 on the 15th). I use one credit card that gives me airline miles so that, occasionally, I will get a free flight. (The key to this though, is to make this your only credit card, and use it only for the things you will buy anyway. You might as well get something for the money you have to spend.)

SPECIAL BONUS ADVICE:

One of the easiest and most helpful things you can do - if you aren't doing this already - is reading. Start reading the LA Times online, if not every day, at least on Sunday. Subscribe to Defamer and LAist and Nikki Finke's column. Even if you don't understand or relate to the specifics right away, you'll pick up a sense of the city and the industry, get familiar with key players, and broaden your knowledge base which will help when you start going on interviews.

Also, someone once told me that it would take 18 months to feel like LA was my home. That advice was spot-on. While I loved it here since Day 1, it took almost exactly 18 months for me to really feel comfortable here - like I had my own friends, my career, and a life that moved forward without me having to nudge it a little.

And finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you to get a Thomas Guide.

Good luck!

Labels: ,



9 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - "guys wear jeans" - I actually do, on a daily basis!

Nice post. Wish I'd had it when I moved here ten years ago!

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some advice from a film industry vet:

Entry level film jobs are not as hard to get. Call the Freidman Agency for agency asst jobs or temping in the industry. Find someone who can get you access to the UTA job list, that is an entry level film job seeker's Nirvana.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In this post, you've answered all of the questions I've ever had about LA. Now if someone could only answer the questions about about Hollywood, hang-on CW is bringing back 90210.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Keith said...

One other thing to kind of add, since you did cover it a little bit: Most people take about a year to acclimate and to build up a solid social circle. For some reason, I was up and fully running within 6 months, but most people I knew commented that it was extremely unusual, and I heard from more than 1 person that they spent the first few months of weekends in L.A. calling their friends back East and saying how lonely they were. Just be patient, but also make the effort to put yourself out there to meet people. Lori suggested some good ways. Personally, blogging really did help me establish some friends here.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Since I don't live there, I have little to add. But, I did want to say that when DG goes to film industry meetings (even the initial meetings where he's really trying to make an impression), he still wears jeans (nice jeans with a cool blazer).

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Green said...

I don't live in LA, but my brother did for two years and I visited him.

He lived downtown, in walking distance of the Staples Center. You might say it's a dead area and roll your eyes, but I am not at all a partier, and liked how quiet it was there.

Plus it was in walking distance to 7th & Fig(ueroa) which is a shopping/restaurant area, and I believe that as of several months ago, there's now a supermarket in that area also.

You'd still need a car to get to work, unless you worked for a law firm downtown (which my brother did).

I also recall walking around Santa Monica and thinking "It'd be fun to live here". But I also thought that about Malibu.

Lori, I just want to say that I sold my car to move to SF, and I still go to Target and when I go to Costco I go with a friend who will drive me home. So I can still buy in bulk (but I can totally see why you need a car in LA).

On the making friends thing you have to swear to yourself "I will accept every invitation I get, unless it feels unsafe."

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger marissa said...

ok, so I'm inspired to chime in and even do a little self-promotion. first, I'd add Curbed LA to the reading list if they're looking to get a sense of neighborhoods, rents, transportation issues, etc (http://la.curbed.com).

second, and I hate when my readers do this to me bc they're all a bunch of map nerds, so I apologize in advance, but silver lake and echo park at southeast of hollywood, not north. los feliz, eagle rock, atwater village are all north. the beauty of los feliz is that its a cute, walkable neighborhood with close access to the subway (yes, we have a subway). silver lake is a little too hipster heavy, but if you live close enough to sunset junction, also walkable. echo park is "up and coming" (and has been since I moved here 5 years ago). but its got good housing stock, convenient to downtown and freeways, and has a ton of cute restaurants opening recently. however, those neighborhoods are increasingly more expensive. I'd suggest looking east of the 5 for cheaper apartments - atwater, eagle rock, mt washington, even glendale.

third, as for saving money, I've only ever lived in NY and London so LA is a bargain. there's tons of free and cheap stuff - free yoga every day in runyon canyon, good haircuts at rudy's, excellent vintage shopping (both clothes and furniture), great tacos for $1, even amazing pre-fixe dinners at lucques for $40. and we have the great outdoors, which makes it easy to pass the time on very little money. I'd also second the credit card with miles advice. I paid for grad school on my aadvantage card - paid it off without incurring interest and have flown to the UK with the miles. twice.

and as for the social component, I moved here with about 20 friends for grad school from london. within a year, all but three of us has left so we had to start over socially. I find that happens often in LA. people are pretty transient here so it helps to have a wide social circle. I tend to "steal" friends of friends, and my gay boyfriend's exes. has worked well so far.

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am late to this party, but great post!! People who read this should be so grateful that you took the time to share (let alone type this advice).
Hope you're having fun in NY. Come back though ;)

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

look at me.. i googled "how to move to LA" of course and found you:)

thanks for the advice! You confirmed some things we were already thinking..... I'm excited to get started!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home