Thursday, March 19, 2009

Next I'll be running for class president and helping Peter with that pesky volcano

So, I don't know what to do. I have only two sessions left in my writing class, and I've loved it. Far from getting tired of the commitment, I've looked forward to every class and never even considered skipping a single one. I haven't written a book or even done much more than clean up a few already-written essays, but I've enjoyed spending three hours a week in a classroom environment with like-minded people discussing our collective common interest. I don't know that I've learned a lot, but I've definitely soaked up the juice for writing once again.

For a while, I thought I would jump immediately into another class next quarter. (So much for that commitment issue, I guess). Then I thought I should take some time off, do more writing on my own, and go back in a bit when I have a clearer goal or at least a better defined idea of what I want to work on.

I've really liked taking classes, though, so I became obsessed with the idea of taking weeknight tennis lessons. I played regularly as a kid, and was even pretty good, but have probably played ten times in the past ten years. I figured lessons once a week would not only encourage me to play, but also raise my game enough to play with my more tennis-advanced friends. I found the perfect class in Pasadena that I could go to immediately after work, and thought I had made my decision.

Then.

Then I got the UCLA course catalog and found a humor writing course that was totally up my alley. Suddenly, I knew what part of my writing I wanted to focus on, and got excited at the thought of writing weekly again. Unfortunately, I wasn't excited enough that I signed up right away, and when I went to go do that this weekend, it was already closed out. I added my name to the waiting list, but patience really isn't my strong suit.

So now I have to figure out what to do, because I really want to do something. It has been suggested to me that I just show up on the first day and keep going, since half the class is likely to drop out anyway. (My current class started with 20 and we are now down to 7 or 8). I suppose I can do that, but I want to have a back-up just in case. There are two other writing classes that *kind of* interest me - a creative writing, and a "find your inspiration" type of thing - but neither jumped out and grabbed me the way the humor writing class did. Both are around $400, which is a lot of money to pay for something I am lukewarm about. So I am leaning back towards the tennis idea, which is cheaper and I could probably do in addition to any writing class that I take, but then I do worry that having two nights per week committed to something may put me over the edge. At least it wouldn't take away from any gym time.

Everything starts the first week of April, so I need to act soon. Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.



2 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Green said...

I used to work at a tennis club as a receptionist, and got free lessons that way. Then I moved to FL and didn't play for four years, then moved to SF. Playing tennis is just like riding a bike. The second you start up, it all comes rushing back to you. Seriously. Put an ad on CL to play with someone who claims they're beginner intermediate and go play at free courts. The progress you make doing that will save you a bunch of money on lessons. Then once you start lessons, you'll be warmed up and get more out of them.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there are still spots open now in the two courses in which you're not as interested, there probably will be spots open once classes start. So why not go to the humor classes in the hope that a spot opens up? If it does not, you can decide whether you want to grab one of the open spots in another class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home