Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's hard out there for a chimp

I think we can all agree that one of the most horrific stories in the news this week is that of the attacking chimp. I don't mean to make light of it, but in every story I read, I keep coming across this one mind-boggling bit of information:

"Authorities are trying to determine why the chimp, a veteran of TV commercials who could dress himself, drink wine from a glass and use the toilet, suddenly attacked
."

Okay, can we talk about this sentence? Granted, dressing oneself and using the toilet are clearly unusual things for a chimp to do, and therefore I understand why those details would be included. But I love how, "drink wine from a glass" is kind of buried in the middle there, as if it's on par with the others. Are other chimps slumming shots out of Dixie cups, or huddled in an alley somewhere swapping sips? While I am impressed that Travis seemed to have a handle on stemware, why is he drinking wine in the first place? Is it to alleviate stress? Loosen up among friends? Does he ever lie awake at night and tell himself, "I can stop anytime I want to"?

I'm so confused as to a.) why this lady would waste good alcohol on him, and b.) what kind of dinner parties she is throwing that it would be inappropriate for the chimp to consume wine out of something easier to clean. And a point I have heard exactly no one discuss: was he even of legal drinking age?

Then of course the whole Xanax debacle came out in the news and it became clear to me the source of his stress - he is a former child actor, after all. We all know how they turn out.

On an oddly related note, I've mentioned before that the people in my writing class are an interesting bunch, most with significant stories they want to share. One of the ones I'm most fascinated by is this guy who was a child actor in the 1970's. He had a popular role on a show that's since become a cult classic, but because that role was a monkey, he is virtually unrecognizable today. His story idea, as you can guess, is to go back and talk about his time as a kid actor, the behind-the-scenes dramas of the show, and his experiences after it ended when he found himself, at 13 years old, living in an alternate universe from the rest of his peers.

The guy has been out of the industry for years, and from what I can tell, at least, lives a completely normal life. In contrast to that, though, is his former co-star, who is the same exact age and worked on the show for the same time period - but has since become a full blown alcoholic. He went to interview her last week for the book, and when he arrived at 11:00 - AM! - she was already a few in the bag.

He told us a funny story that the whole reason he got into the business (as a very precocious ten year old) was to make a lot of money, invest it, and be a multi-millionaire by the time he was thirty. This co-star didn't have nearly as high aspirations - she got into the business simply because she wanted a pony. The irony, of course, is that she got what she wanted, while he's still plugging away, trying to amass that fortune.

The moral of this story, then, I guess, is aim low. And that even primates can succomb to Hollywood's pressures.

Labels:



4 Comments:

At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that chimp story nutty??? Stamford is only a couple of hours from where I live, so this story has saturated the news here in CT.

I saw the owner interviewed yesterday -- she also fed Travis the chimp filet mignon and lobster tails. And Travis knew how to drive the car -- and did!

The sad part of this, aside from Charla's "face being ripped off" is that the owner's husband died a few years ago, her daughter was killed in a car accident a number of years ago, and Travis was a son to her. They never left each other's side. And when I say it's sad, I mean that on multiple levels. Especially for Charla, the friend who was attacked.

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, thanks to you for the absolutely unexpected content of this post. It's just what I needed today.

It sounds to me like the chimp was a bit more than just a pet, like the chimp was being used to fill some gaping hole elsewhere in the owner's life. Still, wine?

How is your writing class going, anyway?

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hands down all time favorite lori post. you give me hope that there are still people out there with a fantastically ironic sense of humor.

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its "Monkey Business" at its worst. An atrocity of this magnitude has occurred since Sigourney Weaver filmed Gorillas In The Mist. It surprises me that entertainment has abandoned the use Orangutans since Ronald Reagan. Taser the crazy Hominidae next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home