Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Valentine's story from a former sexting virgin

Perhaps you've heard of this trend called "sexting"? It's basically texting, about sex, usually to the person you'd like to have it with. It's been in the news a lot in relation to teenagers, but last night I became an unwilling participant. The sexter, however, was 32, and up until an hour before, had been a seemingly perfect first date.

Tyler and I had met for drinks, talked non-stop, and agreed to date number two before the bill came. He took care of the check, paid for my valet, and I spent the 20-minute drive home beaming. I've been on a lot of dates lately, but this was the first in a while in which I'd felt a quick connection. It didn't entirely surprise me when he texted me an hour later, perhaps to seal the second date deal. He'd already told me he didn't have plans for Valentine's Day.

(11:15 PM) Him: So what did you have in mind for the second date?

A lame effort, I thought, considering he was the one that had asked me out.

Me: I don't know - dinner? More Tyler time?

Him: You'll get more Tyler time for sure. Question is, what will you do with it?

Oy, vey, I thought. I don't know what he is asking here and I am too tired to find out.

Me: Whatever you let me get away with. (Short and sassy, throw it back on him.)

Him: Interesting. You should know, I'm very forgiving. You could get away with quite a bit. Depends on what you want.

Okay, he's talking in circles here. I need to go to bed.

Me: Hmmm... I'll have to think about it. (Please stop this now.)

Him: I think you know what you want but you're hesistant to say.

I do? What do I want? I want to go to bed.

Me: You do? What do I want?

Him: I said, YOU know what you want. I know what I want, but that wasn't the question.

I'm officially annoyed. It's too late for double talk, and too much trouble to text this much any time of day.

Me: I want to go to bed by midnight. And have date number two in the bag. (So hurry it up.)

Him: So that means I have 18 minutes to flirt with you?

I can't keep this up for 18 minutes. I let five pass before I write him back.

Me: Sure. So make it count. Give me some good text. (Probably, in hindsight, I shouldn't have said this. )

Him: What, you want to know what I want?

Me: Sure. (Not really, but it will keep me from having to type for a while. I think he's going to ask me out for Valentine's Day or at least say something really nice.)

Him: I want to know how you kiss when you can't resist it, I want to know what the back of your neck smells like, and I want to know what you sound like when you lose control... But we all want things we might not ever know the answer to.

Me: *Blink.* *Blink.* What? Was that a line from a movie? Or has he used that before? I suddenly feel violated and dirty, like I did something wrong. I must have inadvertantly sent out slut signals to receive such an assumptive message. Somewhere in the span of an hour I had gone from feeling like an elusive prize to an easy lay. My whole takeaway from the date was suddenly cheapened.

Me: Okay, that's a bit much. I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

(11:50) Him: Well, you asked. Sleep well.

(Actually, I hadn't asked. He offered.)

(11:55) Him: And for the record, you said make it count.

(12:03) The phone rings. "Did you get offended by that?" He's laughing in disbelief, so rather than apologizing for his overstep, he makes me feel like I need to apologize for my prudishness. Because it is after midnight and I've inexplicably been put on the defense, I am not apologizing for anything, and tell him we can talk about it tomorrow. I hang up. This actually makes me feel worse because, clearly, I must be taking things way too seriously. Some people like dirty texting, I imagine. I may even be one of them, albeit not after a single, two-hour date. Scratch that, I think. I'm not a fan of texting in general. I don't discriminate based on subject matter.

I went to bed pondering how it is possible to have a first fight without even being in a relationship. Will I hear from him today, I wonder, or just get another late-night message? I don't have the desire to get into a teenaged-type text war, but I would like him to know that he made me feel cheapened. And that the back of my neck almost always smells like Gucci. That way, at least, he'll have some idea of what he's missing.

Labels:



8 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no good advice on this one. I feel like all guys try to do the flirty texting/IM thing and it's just a matter of us girls trying to dance around it. FG was like that with me the first time he IM'd me and he's a great guy. So, I wouldn't draw any conclusions that this guy isn't worth a second date. I'd keep an open mind and see what happens. I would tell him you'd rather focus on getting to know each other and keep the sexy stuff for later. Tell him you prefer unspoken anticipation, or something like that. That'll make it clear that you're not one of those girls but that you're not "uptight" either.

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The irony of all these new forms of communication (texting, facebook, etc.) is that they actually stand in the way of allowing a relationship to develop maturely. Most guys wouldn't have the balls to talk that sexually with you in person or on the phone after only one date(I wouldn't), and you'd still be excited about the 2nd date without worrying that this dude only wants one thing. The fact that he called to sort of apologize probably means he likes you and realizes he stepped over the line - even though he wasn't man enough to say that. But that's why he's hiding behind text messages to begin with.

I always tell dates that I'm really old school and that I shut off the text feature on my phone. I also don't exchange emails or friend them on FB. If you wanna talk to me, call me - and vice versa.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I love that you had a great date! Yay. As for the sexting, I'm not into it. I too would have felt cheapened by what he said, although I don't think that is how he meant it. I think he was trying to flirt (in a very forward way). I do think that a guy should show some more restraint and respect especially early on though...that is if he's looking for something serious.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like texting, and playful (not cheap and dirty) banter is fun to me. But sexting--wtf. I've experienced this more than once, usually after 1-2 dates and it is just. not. OK. Now, if I'm dating you and actually sleeping w you, fine, sext away. But before then, it is more likely to turn me off than entice me to want to know more about you. I don't need to know that you like spanking before I know how you kiss, you know?

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks, everyone! All good advice, and much appreciated. I'll write a follow up post later to go into the aftermath. :)

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Even I've never blown it that badly. I swear I'm the king of inappropriateness, but never, never, never-ever have I been that crass. I agree with Marc, this guy thought he and you were already on the third date and spending the night together.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This, THIS, my friend is one of the reasons that I am so confused by my lousy dating life. I would never even consider doing anything like "dirty texting" until there was an actual relationship of some sort. The fact that he did it after the end if the first date? Sheesh.

Anyway, let it be known that, yes, there are a few of us guys out there who have some chivalry left...

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Tiny E said...

Totally agree with Jill and Marc. This is just one of the many reasons I hate (and a little bit love) texting. I have no advice since we're already at the point of "aftermath" but I can't wait to hear all about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home