Sunday, September 28, 2008

Is it still giving back if I'm getting so much out of it?

Getting away from the drama of the condo purchase, and the election, and the downward state of the economy, I'd like to tell you about this work project I've been busy with.

It's well documented on this blog that I have a tiny thing for soap operas. Well, I had a tiny thing. I haven't watched any in a few years, and most of my affection for the genre is really borne out of nostalgia for when I watched them back in the 80's and 90's. Last year, I had a chance to meet and work with one of the women I grew up watching. This year, I had another.

About eight months ago, I got a phone call from this woman's manager, claiming that the actress, who lives in Pasadena, has been a long-time fan of our products, and if we ever needed a spokesperson, they would love to talk to us. My company doesn't use a spokesperson - we don't even have an advertising budget - but I was intrigued by the idea of working together, so I said I would think about it and get back to her.

The woman (I don't want to mention names here, due to work and Google) has been actively involved in the fight against breast cancer through a locally-based but nationally-reaching organization. I thought, what if the soap company and the soap star co-created a soap bar, and donated all the proceeds to this organization for breast cancer research? Everyone loved the idea, and, indeed, a soap star was born.

We came up with two products - a single bar for $8 ($5 of which is donated) and a gift set of two bars and a natural wood soap dish for $20 ($12 of which is donated).
In the time I've been working on this, I have had such a blast. The actress and her publicist have been a dream to work with, and the organization has been helpful and thankful. We did an in-store event yesterday in Pasadena, and have another in Scottsdale on Wednesday. The press is rolling in, and I've had the satisfaction of not only working with one of my childhood idols, but actually helping others in the process. And it doesn't hurt that the soap is beautiful to boot.


No pressure whatsoever, but if you feel so inclined to restock your shower, or maybe have a gift to get for someone anyway, I'd like to encourage you to buy a bar or two. The soaps are 100% natural with no artificial dyes or perfumes, making it safe for all skin types, and ideal for sensitive skin. You'll be supporting me, fighting breast cancer, and maybe even reminding yourself that it's absolutely possible to love what you do.

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Great work! What an awesome colaboration! If I liked rose-scented things, I would definitely buy some. I will be checking out the site for other goodies, though! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home