Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Top that

I don't watch much TV, but I have a serious thing for Gossip Girl. I don't care about the fashion or the boys or the sex or the money - the "bright lights, big city" glossy magazine moolah that gets the show most of its press - but I am obsessed with the writing.

I've often been turned off by shows that give teenage characters too-mature content. I could look past the soapy storylines of BH 90210, because, drama aside, they still spoke like people my age. But when the 16-year-olds on Dawson's Creek peppered every point with SAT words and had the perfect comeback at every corner, the whole show seemed to me to be entirely, annoyingly, too scripted.

So I find it funny that Gossip Girl's grown-up discourse has me glued to the TV. Specifically, I'm fostering an audible affair on Blair. I don't know if they give her the best lines or she just delivers them better than anyone else on set, but her snappy sarcasm and witty retorts set the pace of the show, and she steals every scene she is in. I watched Monday's episode with my jaw on the floor, my laugh, out loud, and a major girl crush in development.

After Monday's episode, I headed to IMDB to soak up as much extraneous information as I could. And that's where I found a real gem of information, not under Blair's biography, but Serena's.

I had heard that Blake Lively had come from a showbiz family, and knew that her older brother had played Rusty in the European Vacation movie. But I don't think I ever knew that her sister starred in one of my all-time favorite adolescent movies EVER!

Please tell me I am not the only one who remembers Teen Witch. HBO must have been hard up for programming back in the day, because this was on all. the. time. after school; no joke, I've seen this movie 50 times. Talk about a girl crush - I thought Louise was gorgeous and that no one with hair that perfect could have been unpopular. I treasured the scene where she and Brad run alone, through the empty house, as he admits his crush on her. And I sang along, loudly and unabashedly, to the movie's anthem, Most Popular Girl, at the significant story arc.

And, oh. Speaking of the movie's music, maybe you remember this classic scene. I don't know how much more cringe-inducing it gets than late-80's, white guy versus white girl rap-off, but, at the time, I thought this was pretty fantastic.



You're welcome.

Labels:



4 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop it! That's Blake's sister! Wasn't that close to the same year as Pretty Woman? It was on TV recently and I had to laugh at a scene in his car when I thought of Vanilla Ice in his 5.0 with the top down so his hair can blow.

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Gossip Girl and Blair too. In fact my jezebel.com commenter name is Blair Waldorf. lol

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm I LOVE (and yes, that is capital) LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEE Teen Witch. It is one of my favorite movies. Are we long lost sisters or something?

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shut the F UP! Teen Witch is Serena's sister? Seriously, my life is better for knowing that. And thank you ever so much for this clip. Totally just made my day. And now I'm going to need to watch that movie because it has definitely been too long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home