Friday, September 26, 2008

Starry-eyed

What. A. Week!

I made an offer on the condo. They countered, but didn't raise the selling price, only changed a few details of the contract. The building is only 40% owner-occupied, which banks, apparently, don't find so desirable, so the seller wants me to get pre-approved by their broker in addition to my own. They also changed some of the time frames and buyer/seller payment agreements, which are negligible. I love the place. Everyone I've talked to has assured me this is a good, sound purchase. I feel in my gut that it probably is. There is just one thing that has me worried.

Mercury is in retrograde.

I know that probably sounds ridiculous. In a way, it is. Who on earth would make such a huge decision based on astrology? Anyone who would probably shouldn't be saddled with the responsibility of buying a home in the first place, right?

While I don't necessarily subscribe to everything the stars supposedly tell us, I do believe in this retrograde thing. I can't explain why. Just like I believe in ghosts, or that water freezes below 32 degrees, I just know. Here's a great link which explains Mercury in retrograde and specifically, how it relates to buying real estate. Even if you don't believe in astrology, you have to agree, the link gives some good advice.

I can't, in my right mind, turn my back on this opportunity because of the stars. But I can take what it dictates to heart, and go over this contract with a fine tooth comb, ask every question in the book (maybe a few times), and be more diligent than I ever have about anything in my life. Because this is, without a doubt, the biggest and most important purchase I've made in my life.

Being as diligent as I need to be may take a few days, and therefore, cause me to lose the place. In a weird way, I'm kind of hoping that I do. I wouldn't mind an excuse for this to fall through, so I won't have to decide to defy Mercury. It would almost be reassuring if they went with the second offer - I could convince myself I dodged a bullet. Of course, it would be even better if the second offer fell through just in time for my return from Peru when Mercury will go direct. Then I can swoop in and take back my place with the security knowing all my stars have been aligned.

In the middle of all this craziness, I've been planning for a big work event tomorrow. And don't think Mercury hasn't affected that, either! Remember, around this time last year, I did a big store event, only, up until four hours before it, we didn't have a store? I had one of those moments today. Fortunately, we found a band-aid to get us through tomorrow, though I think we're going to need some serious stitches to get us through the month.

Good thing Venus, master of cosmetic surgery, is fully direct.

UPDATE: For what it's worth, here is a perfectly articulated summation of how I felt about the debate tonight. It's like Mercury has resurrected Paul Reiser from the past (seriously, where has he been the last ten years?) just to vocalize my thoughts, because I haven't been able to put my finger on exactly why I felt so ambiguous and empty inside tonight. Yes, most of the pundits are agreeing that Obama won, and yet, I still don't feel like it was enough.

Labels:



2 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, how are you? I am sending you this comment, because I am serching for blogger friends, and your site is interesting to me. I have an art blog here in San Diego, and I am curious if you would become my freind? Are you up to it?
I hope to see you soon on my art blog, and take care,
Sincerely,
Jesse

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger AmyBow said...

Congratulations Lori!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home