Tuesday, September 02, 2008

iLori

A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded my wireless pay-per-text plan to an unlimited one. Since then, some glitch in the system caused all of my texts to be sent as "slide show" messages, and thus virtually unreadable to half of my friends.

After a two-week text hiatus, I finally went to the AT&T store at lunch today, to see if they could fix it. But, once I learned I was eligible for an upgrade, I purchased the iPhone instead.

I've only had it for about three hours now but I am too obsessed with it to do any work. I'm so not a tech person, and could care less about most gadgets, but this? This is no gadget. This is salvation. Seriously, it blows my mind that, only four years ago, I was just figuring out how to text and getting DSL in my apartment; and now I have unlimited Internet capabilities on something that fits in my hand.

Perhaps most astoundingly, I have GPS navigation. Where was THAT when I moved here a few years ago? The concept of GPS had barely been invented then, let alone accessible to anyone for less than a few hundred dollars. Now, thanks to this, I'll never again have to rely on Mapquest printouts or my own questionable sense of direction.

I'd been wanting this phone for a while, and am, so far, so pleased with my decision. This will have to put a temporary cap on my spending, however. I just booked the 4-Day Machu Picchu tour within our Peru trip, and we still need to book our flights to Cusco and hotel rooms in Lima.

I did, fortunately, find a FABULOUS, free way to learn Spanish before I go. Thanks to Mazing Amy, who suggested checking iTunes for free podcasts. I came across Coffee Break Spanish, which has a library of 15-minute lessons, starting from the basic "hola" (Holla!) (Challah!) to more advanced conversation. What I find hilarious and truly entertaining, though, is that the instructors are from Scotland; so, apropos to my heritage, I am learning to speak Spanish with a sexy Scottish brogue.

Labels:



5 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was listening to the podcast a bit. If you are worried about pronunciation at all, pay more attention to the man's than the woman's. Also, there is a touch of Castillian Spanish there vs. South American Spanish from the little I've listened to, which makes sense considering it's coming from Scotland. More likely being taught for travel to Spain.

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Spanish with a sexy Scottish brogue"? That outta get some cool looks down there! :)

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL :-) Orientation week at Syracuse, I was using GPS, did I meet you at PlayFair? Tu sabe yo queiro su mas divertivas en Peru!

 
At 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Don't you just love the podcast?!

I use it to keep my French from getting too rusty and am trying to learn Italian from it too.

There's one that plugs the words into tunes to create a sort of subliminal learning from it--Earworms Learning is the name of the "group" Rapid Italian is what I'm doing, thinking maybe there's a Rapid Spanish using the same method.

 
At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just looked it up -- Rapid Spanish - Earworms Learning.

It's not free but I do find the Italian one is a great compliment to the regular lesson type format of the free podcasts. $16.95

 

Post a Comment

<< Home