Saturday, April 29, 2006

Of birds and b-listers

I suppose there are a lot of differences between the Daytime and the Primetime Emmy's (fashion choices and average weight per actress come to mind) but I've decided that one difference no one talks about is that the primetime actors can better hide their disappointment when they lose.

After attending a very pretentious and utterly boring fashion party last night, I came home, changed into my Target pajamas, and succumbed to the guiltiest of pleasures - watched the Daytime Emmy's.

I started watching General Hospital in kindergarten (blame the babysitter) which, in 1981-82, was the time now considered the Golden Years. Luke and Laura ruled the airwaves with their flowing manes of golden hair and Demi Moore, Rick Springfield, and John Stamos played Jackie Templeton, Noah Drake, and Blackie Parrish respectively. A change of babysitters kept me away for most of grade school, but I got hooked again in the winter of 1986 - when the Laurelton Murder Mystery kicked off with a Clue-like stabbing in the brownstone. I was hooked through the lives of Patrick and Kevin and O'Connor, Bobbie and Jake, Frisco and Felicia, Sean and Tiffany, and poor pathetic Terry who got framed for the chain of murders before realizing - while hanging off the edge of a cliff on her honeymoon - that the real killer was the man she just married.

Since then, I have grown up with the characters, as I watched throughout high school, college, and, thanks to Soap Net, the last few years in which a full time job has kept me away from midday television. My current cable package doesn't offer Soap Net, so I have actually gone a year without watching, but I plan to make a change soon, now that Robert and Anna and Robin and many of my other favorite characters have made a comeback. Watching the award show last night just reminded me how much I have missed them.

Of course, the Daytime Emmy's aren't entirely about soaps - they also honor excellence in talk shows and children's programming. Sesame Street's Big Bird, who in real life is known as Carol Spinney, last night received a lifetime achievement award for his many years on the show. I met him back in 1981 - even before I started watching GH - when my grandparents took me to the Sesame Street set in Queens. I like to tell people that I've seen him topless.



Although I suppose featherless would be more accurate.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home