Sunday, July 27, 2008

Just a little more wining

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post complaining that Facebook, with its gossipy news feed and sudden influx of my (now married) high school class, sparked an insecurity I haven't felt in years. Now, in addition to making me self-conscious about being single, it's also found a way to imply that I'm inadequate as a consumer.

13 of your friends installed the Facebook for iPhone application to their phones.


Really, though? The iPhone, apparently, is the new Benetton Rugby. Only my seventh grade PA system didn't announce, every morning, who happened to have one. If this isn't the definition of "peer pressure," I don't know what is.

Fortunately, I didn't have to impress any Facebook friends this weekend, and instead spent it with real ones at Laura's bachelorette party.



I've mentioned before that Laura was one of my first friends in LA. She's just very warm and friendly and easy to be with, and the crowd this weekend reflected that. There were fourteen of us there from all walks of Laura's life - high school, college, and the post-college group of girls she charmed just like me - and everyone was just so fun, so normal, and so great to be around. It was a refreshing, relaxing, exhilarating weekend.

The endless bottles of wine I'm sure had nothing to do with it.

Labels: ,



6 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your smile in this pic is so genuine - obvious evidence you had a great time!! And just so ya know... I think we are all plagued by similar neurosis (I happen to prefer, on scary nights, esp, to keep the TV &/or bathroom lights on, or take a couple Tylenol PM's -to get to sleep). Yeah, I admidt, I'm a wuss.

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peer pressure as marketing technique. Nice. And I mean that in the most drippingly-sarcastic "nice" I can possibly mean.

But it's truly nice that you had such a good time with your friends. Sounds like you may have needed it! :)

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger The Flying Enchilada said...

I truly enjoy your facebook updates :P!

I guess I'm not with the 'in' crowd either seeing as I have yet to upload that application.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger AmyB said...

Reason #56752 why I refuse to have a Facebook account, despite the fact that people have literally begged me to get one. Even my husband has said I should get one, which is saying A LOT. Thanks for reminding me of my resolve. ;o)

So glad you had fun this weekend! You look so happy (and tan!) in that photo.

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I was worried with no boyfriend nothing would go right!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Dude! These posts are destroying my plan of convincing AmyD to get on facebook! No fair! ;)

It looks like you had a great time at the bachelorette party. I'd love to hear more about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home