Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Asking too much or expecting too little?

One of the nice things about having a closet full of identical black dresses is that when you get a last-minute invite to a movie premiere, the biggest question is, "Do I have time to shave?"

The answer to that question was "no", so I just went in my work clothes, which were totally fine, considering that the premiere was for Meet Dave, and other than the studio executives and the people actually in the movie, the majority of the attendees looked like they came straight from summer camp.

Sadly, Eddie Murphy didn't show, but we got a great view of Gabrielle Union, and some of the other actors I couldn't name at the time. The movie was, expectedly, dumb, but I laughed out a number of times and it was still a freaking premiere for which I felt slightly fabulous. (I know - I live in LA. I'm not supposed to get excited about this stuff anymore. But I do.)

I had only been to one other movie premiere before, for this, when I still lived in New York. My client had donated makeup for the production, so we got a few passes, and while the movie sucked, the after-party was great. I don't remember much except my friend Maria flirting with Tim Robbins. How do you beat that?

I would stop name-dropping now except that I also have to share that I am going here tomorrow, for work. It is just a quick, 24 hour trip, but they gave us a discount on treatments and my company is comping the rest. Friday morning I will wake up for Sunrise Yoga, and follow that with a facial before my flight. Not that I enjoy waking up at sunrise, or even yoga, for that matter, but I figure, when in Rome. I am just a teensy, weensy bit excited.

I also find myself asking, Who AM I? Whose life is this? I've spent four out of the last five weekends in Malibu, New York City, and Las Vegas, on top of living the dream in LA. I am going to movie premieres and destination spas and making soap with a soap star. This is more than I ever imagined my life would be when I moved out here. And I am certainly enjoying it, reveling in it, really. But part of me also wonders if I have all this awesome showiness at the expense of something a little less fleeting. There's only so much goodness in the world, after all. Is there any left for me to possibly, maybe, one day get into a relationship?

Then again, relationships are fleeting, too. My cheap, Forever 21 dresses could last longer.

Labels: , , ,



5 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh. I'm currently looking forward *cough* to working overtime Friday night replacing a RAID controller card on a server.

Clearly you're doing something right that I'm not to have all the goodness flowing in your direction! Good for you!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

I don't think that you having a fun couple of weeks means that it will come to an end soon. I think it's Summer and you DESERVE to have fun.

I've lived in California my entire life and I've only been to one movie premiere. The movie was eh, but the after party was AWESOME. It's totally fun - if either of us ever gets jaded then the other of us should smack the jaded one in the head. Agreed?

Have a blast tomorrow. Say hello to Tucson for me.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Amy L said...

Due to film school at USC, my career in Hollywood and friends in the biz, I've been to 100s of premieres. I miss the days when they used to be exciting to me!

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we can have fun in LA and find time for a relationship... at least I hope! ;-)

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori, you give so much of yourself, don't for a second think that you have only man you haven't found is Jesus!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home