Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A change will do you good

I promise I'll stop talking about my trip to Canyon Ranch soon, but one other thing happened that may have changed my life. I came away from the trip inexplicably addicted to yoga.

You'll recall I didn't even do the sunrise yoga as I so casually threw out as an option the day before. You'll probably also recall my saying that I don't even do yoga; I've tried it on and off for years and not only have I never really liked it, I've been incredibly annoyed by and impatient with it.

So how was it that I woke up the Saturday after returning from my trip with an insatiable urge to attend an afternoon class? Were the fugly yoga pants I had bought earlier in the week calling out from my suitcase, begging me not to return them to the desperate, disheveled sale rack at the Gap? Had the chakra balance I downloaded the night before begun to work so soon, brainwashing my mind into thinking I might actually enjoy breathing deeply in a crowded room looking at someone else's dirty feet?

What the hell, I figured. I don't feel like running today, anyway.

So I went Saturday afternoon. And again Sunday morning. And by Monday, my body ached in an unfamiliar yet not at all unwelcome way. I felt kind of amazing. Stretchier. Limbier. More purposeful. Hungry for more.

Afraid I might gain five pounds if I cut back cardio completely, I made myself run and lift during the week. But Friday night I rewarded myself for a hard week with an after-work class. And when I realized I reflectively thought of it as a reward, it occurred to me that I hadn't been this excited about any exercise since I took kickboxing eight years ago, and started running a few years before that.

I've been looking forward to the gym for two weeks now. I haven't done that in years. At least, not in a "I can't wait until work is done!" or "I can wake up an hour early!" kind of way. I count the days until I can take a class, and make my runs count on the days I can't. And even though it's only been two weeks, it's been a very nice change, thus far.

The only problem is that now I am going to need an entirely new gym wardrobe.

Labels:



6 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Wow, that's pretty profound, considering we are talking about exercising! I've been thinking about starting yoga, too. This just motivated me further, so thank you!

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love yoga... and certain places have classes that feel very cardio-like. For example, The Yoga Kingdom Sanctuary in Pas has awesome classes that include beg-adv levels all in one. The first class is free (I think they still do that). I haven't gone there in forever so if you ever want a yoga buddy to join you there... let me know... I need go back! :)

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger marissa said...

I know this is a bit far for you, but there is free yoga every day in runyon canyon in the little park by the fuller entrance. its by donation only and the teachers are actually pretty good. and while I like yoga in a studio, there's something about doing it outside, with a breeze and the hills around you. I think there are also evening classes in the summer too but I'm not sure of the schedule. its worth checking out on a weekend.

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you found it, I am surprised you weren't already. All I know about it is down-ward facing dog and if you talk to anyone who has dated me, I have the dog part licked.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often hear good things about yoga, but have yet to try it myself. Something about those position mixed with my typical-non-limber-guy's body looks just really, really... painful.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Desiree, I checked it out and it looks like they have some classes that are free, so I'm game! I'm already paying at Equinox, though, so I probably wouldn't purchase a package.

Marissa, I would love to do the yoga at Runyon one day when I finally have a free weekend. I'll check it out - thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home