Sunday, March 23, 2008

Rebirth

I remember shortly after I moved to LA, I made a comment to my aunt about how sweet the air smelled. She laughed and told me LA had the most polluted air in the country. She may be right, but for the last few weeks I've been marveling at the familiar fragrance that, even in my third year, still thrills me with its simple beauty.

Today was gorgeous. Mid-eighties, sunny, and smog-free. The San Bernardino mountains stand more than 100 miles away, often obscured from sight behind LA's typical smog screen; but today they stood crystal clear in the distance, purple mountains of majesty, indeed.

It was the first weekend I brought my fan out of hibernation and wore flip flops to Starbucks instead of Uggs.

I'm sorry that this blog is little more than a weather report. Things are good, really good. My dining room table is overflowing with opportunity, ideas, words looking for semblance somewhere between my head and my hard drive. My social life is bustling, busy, better than ever. I'm continuously surprised that the older I get, the better my friends, the stronger my relationships. Perhaps even more surprisingly, I find this true of my east coast/old college friends as well. My relationships with them, despite the distance, seem to have strengthened over time. While we talk less often, our words carry more meaning, our conversations, more important, if infrequent.

Sometimes I am just so overwhelmed with myself and the good things going on, I feel like the energy is palpable. Personally, if that's the case, I'm willing to bet that its manifesting itself in the form of neuroses, as I've noticed myself becoming tangibly more neurotic in the past two years. The thoughts in my head swim faster than I can keep up with, resulting in a near permanent stressball between my shoulders in my upper back. That might, of course, also be a result of the time I spend at this dining room table.

On Wednesday I had dinner with fellow bloggers Abby, Hilary, Nicole, and Samantha. Last night, the boy I am dating called my blogging "sophisticated." And the blog has also been the catalyst for some other projects I have in the works, none of which I would have ever known about or been a part of, had it not been for this strange, silly little thing.

Is it possible that we do create our own destiny? Even if, when I so randomly created this back in my little apartment on 33rd street, I couldn't possibly have imagined the future?

I don't mean to get all existential or anything. It's just this energy I have, looking to make sense of something I still don't really understand.

Labels:



3 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry too much about making sense of things. It's not as though you're taking the current good times for granted. Sometimes, just letting the "good times roll" can be an okay way to go through the days. :)

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you've presentated your emotions and it is meritted because you've grown. Actually, I'm jealous because I'm really redefining my identity.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try to enjoy the ride. Bask in it. Sounds like there are lots of good things ahead (knock wood). And your blogging is sophisticated. I love your writing. It is not a shock that it is getting attention.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home