Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Very important issues that men will never have to tackle, Vol. 1

So, I am officially Juror Number 10, although, even after two and a half days, we are still in the process of selecting the alternates. Aside from the fact that I hate being idle and despise inefficiency and am kind of freaking out about losing half my paycheck next week, I find myself more overwhelmed by another court-related issue.

That issue would be footwear.

Jurors are relegated to a free parking structure that is about a 10-15 minute walk to and from the courthouse. That's a long distance in heels, which are primarily what I pair with business attire. And, um, with pretty much everything. After the first day in which I thoughtlessly wore platform boots, I tried to match an outfit yesterday around ballet flats. Problem with that is that none of my trousers are hemmed for flats - just for three inch heels - so they'd drag on the ground if I dressed for comfort. Do I ruin the slacks or ruin the shoes?

I ended up choosing a pair of cute cropped pants that I save for spring, and was able to skip sprightly from my car to the courthouse and back. Today, however, if I wanted to continue wearing the flats, I would have to consider the only other flat-friendly, weather-appropriate bottom-option in my closet - jeans. Now, I've seen plenty of people wear jeans to court and maybe their definition of "business casual" differs from mine; but my feeling is that unless you are the defendant and pretty much lucky to be in anything but an orange jumpsuit, jeans aren't really cool for court. At least until Casual Friday.

I then considered my Cole Haan pumps that literally have some Nike Air technology in the soles. But they give me blisters just in a day walking around the office, so I didn't want to chance it walking a mile across cobblestone. Then I considered my lower-heeled, more comfortable boots, but the stilettos on those are already a few wearings away from a resole and I was hoping to get through one more winter without it. They were resoled once here and twice in New York already, which brings me to my next point, which is: HOW DID I EVER LIVE LIKE THIS?

For seven years I faced this problem every morning; as a permanent pedestrian, I was forced to build a working, walking wardrobe around my shoes. I don't remember it being much of an issue until the last couple years I lived there, in part because the styles changed from rounded platforms to pointed stilettos, but also because I had more money to invest in nicer shoes. I do know that by the time I left New York I was exhausted by this daily decision, and I've happily stocked up on heels ever since, knowing that the most walking I'll ever do is on a treadmill or through a parking garage.

Coming back to the present, I chose the platform boots again this morning. I considered swallowing my pride and wearing sneakers with a skirt (just for the walk but OMG, that hurt to type you have no idea) but then that would bear the question of bare legs in the courtroom. Alternatively, I could have paired black tights with any number of my dresses, but - no, you know what? No. I am not Tess McGill, this is not Staten Island, and it's not 1988. I need to find another option, and that option needs to currently exist in my closet.

I swore to uphold the law. I should also respect the fashion police.



13 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Far be it for me to give wardrobe advice, but I would try and make the boots work. This is in hindsight however, because I believed changing your shoes was a practical decision. With that in mind it is because I once read a celebrity siting of Lindsey McKeon wearing a skirt with sneakers and sent me spinning into an entirely different suggestion and I apologize for its inappropriateness a head of time and that suggestion is to wear your work out clothes. Now before you dismiss me as a perve, you might use the opportunity to break your "Rules Girl" mentality and attract some attention from an environment you have no prior business obligations or future ones :-)

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my life story. I'm a tiny woman. Every time I bought pants I had to make a choice - hem for flats or hem for heels. My solution now after years of this: When I find a pair of jeans or work pants that I LOVE, I buy 2 pairs of them. Hem 1 pair for flats and 1 pair for heels.

This doesn't solve your Jury Duty wardrobe malfunction, but it may help some other poor reader.

And as an attorney, I agree that you should NOT wear jeans to court. You can wear a skirt w/ bare legs but it should be knee length.

Do you have any wedges? Sometimes I find they're a bit more forgiving than heels for walking. Also, the tennis shoe idea is a good one. Bring a bag and change into heels when you get there. Presto chango.
Phew. Done.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Hilary said...

This post cracked me up, because I was going through the same dilemma recently. All of my pants are longs so that my 5'9" self can wear heels with them, but then when I want to wear flats, I'm screwed.

I remember a while back reading in a magazine about a pair of jeans with a detachable bottom part so that you could wear them with both heels and flats. Perhaps that idea would just solve everything.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Samantha said...

Just wear a pair of flip flops to walk to the courthouse then change into your heels once you get there and toss the flip flops into your big purse or whatever.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Flip flops and tennis shoes pose the same problem as ballet flats - my pants would still be far too long and drag on the ground. I do own a few pairs of wedges and considered that option too, but they are all open toe and I wondered if that would be inappropriate as well. The woman next to me today, however, had on Birkenstocks, and the girl next to her has worn dirty Vans every day, so it's entirely possible I am overthinking this.

Also, Noj, I would love to wear my workout clothes but I think if jeans are inappropriate, my yoga pants would get me thrown out of court. On the other hand, maybe that's not such a bad idea...

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Tiny E said...

Such a funny post! I have zero suggestions except that I think you can definitely get away with jeans. Do you have ones in a dark rinse that aren't cut too tight? Wear them with a nice top and I think you're set.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Diana said...

I am kinda shocked your company won't pay you for jury leave. There is no HR policy on that?

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger AmyB said...

This post was great. Sadly, this IS a problem women deal with, myself included!! I think maybe it's time for you to invest in a few flat-friendly pairs of dress pants. That would help a lot (and thanks for the tip...)! ;o)

I hope you aren't on jury for much longer. The fact that you aren't getting paid while being out of work is B.S., and I honestly wonder if they can really do that?!... Good luck!

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Karl Hakkarainen said...

Just in case you're thinking that you're running out of options, have a go at these exquisite orthopedic-surgeon's-boat-payment-maker: http://tinyurl.com/29mmpn

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger The Gangster said...

You have the brains for business, and a bod for sin.

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm about to change your life.
Just remember me when you make it big.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=408458&previousURI=/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/search?ActiveCat=499^Query=blister+block

They really should pay me for my endorsements but it is the best thing I've purchased...um...EVER.
Seriously. Just get it. Thank me later. I like wine and diamonds.

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To paraphrase the immortal Mel Brooks, a la "History of the World, Part I", "It's good to be a guy..."

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Green said...

Dude. You're so right - I could never wear jeans inside a courtroom.

Skirts however, are just fine IMO (having been in courtrooms in NY, FL and CA) as long as they come close to hitting the knee or longer.

You could totally wear ballet flats with a crisp, preppy skirt for the walk to the Courthouse and then switch to heels when you get there.

My future SIL is a public defender and she has flat knee-high black boots she wears to walk the six blocks between train & courthouse and courthouse & office.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home