Saturday, January 05, 2008

Year-End Meme

I copied this meme from AmyD. (Well, I mean I copied the questions, not her answers.)

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before? I saw an MC Hammer concert!

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Last year was the first in forever that DIDN'T make any resolutions, and yet it was the first year I think I actually bettered myself. The few years before then, I had always made the same resolutions: drink less, floss more, get a boyfriend. Last year was the first year I actually DID start drinking less, flossing more, and, well, at least I didn't disappoint myself when I, yet again, didn't have a boyfriend.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No, but I had a few friends get engaged, and a few more get married, and a few more get pregnant. I think 2008 is the year!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank goodness.

5. What countries did you visit? Mexico!

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007? A boyfriend.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? October 11th - when my company's new store opened; December 7th - when my friend Maria got married; and June 2nd - when I had the most amazing 31st birthday.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Pulling off the store opening. Running ten miles. Making really good friends I couldn't have imagined even a year ago.

9. What was your biggest failure? Failure is a strong word for an optimistic Saturday morning.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope! Well, I kind of got a bug after my store opening, and there is my persistent hip problem which doesn't hurt when I run - only the remaining 23 hours and 30 minutes of every day. But other than those I have been healthy as an ox!

11. What was the best thing you bought? Benetint. New Uggs. And I think I did good with my Holiday shopping this year.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My friend Maria, who was the best bride ever and made it a joy and a privilege to be a bridesmaid in her wedding.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Um, the Republican party?

14. Where did most of your money go? My social life.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? I tend not to get excited about too much for fear of being let down. But I did get pretty amped about my birthday.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007? Rhianna's Umbrella. (Ella, ella...)

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Definitely happier.
b) thinner or fatter? About the same.
c) richer or poorer? A little richer in the wallet, possibly poorer in the portfolio.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Writing. Networking.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Kvetching.

20. How did you spend Christmas? Happily, in Massachusetts with my family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007? Only with a few television programs and maybe a fragrance or two. And I fell in love with LA all over again - usually once every few weeks or so.

22. What was your favorite TV program? Project Runway, Gossip Girl, Brothers and Sisters.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Goodness, no. My heart has grown exponentially in a year, and I think I have greater patience and much more love for a lot of people.

24. What was the best book you read? Eat, Pray, Love.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? This song and video.

26. What did you want and get? Inner peace.

27. What did you want and not get? A boyfriend. (Haven't we covered this?)

28. What was your favorite film of this year? I very rarely see new/current movies and this year was no exception.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 31 and celebrated with a huge birthday party at Trader Vics and had the best time I've had in years.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? How many different ways can I answer this question? Okay, to switch it up, let's say to have my whole family living out in LA with me.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? This was the year of the Black Jersey Dress. I own about 6 or 7 of them - all in different styles - and they go with everything, in every season.

32. What kept you sane? I don't know - just good brain chemistry, I guess. Good friends. I suppose the gym and exercise helped.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Little Violet Affleck.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? Office politics.

35. Who did you miss? A couple of girlfriends, who found boyfriends/husbands this year. A guy friend who fell out of my social circle. My family.

36. Who was the best new person you met? So many people came into my life this year, I can't put a superlative on it.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007. You only get one life to live, it's up to you how you want to live it - GNY.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "I must have done something good." - Maria and The Captain, The Sound of Music.



7 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent meme.
Love.
How inspiring that you have such a great outlook!

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often think that I would have better luck moving all of my family to Alaska than finding a girlfriend, yeah I'm right there, totally frustrated, with you.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Yay! Thanks for doing this - I loved it! I was cracking up about the fact that you kept answering questions with "A boyfriend." Hell, at least you KNOW what you want...some people never come to that conclusion! ;o)

Happy New Year, lady!

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had the love for this city you do (you'll have to share your secret); some days I do, some days I don't, it goes back and forth. Usually depending on how badly I'm stuck in traffic.

I'm pretty impressed with the clarity of your goals for 2008. Mine are a bit less so: "hike more, travel more, meet some amazing woman, figure out world peace" that sort of thing. But I have little doubt that you will succeed. :)

I'm totally jealous of your birthday party, though... ;)

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

Wow - GNY is super smart.

And your bday party WAS super fun.

You are totally my inspiration in 2008. xoxo

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@geekhiker: Get a bike, it's how I fell in love with LA. I Discovered so many awesome spots and people.

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a feeling Eat, Pray, Love will be one of those books I read at least once a year. Hoping to get through it today!
Loved your list and if I've learned anything from the book so far, admitting what you want and speaking it are the first steps - you are well on your way!
Happy 2008!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home