Thursday, January 03, 2008

A Very Happy New Year

If you've read through my blogroll, you probably know by now that I spent New Year's Eve with the lovely Hilary and Nicole, among others. It was a really nice New Year's, starting with a low key potluck dinner - for which I successfully made my mom's Asian Green Bean Salad, drinks at our favorite neighborhood bar, and back at home soon after midnight. What you don't know is that I also (finally!) met another blogger, my faithful reader and probably longest-time commenter, Huphter! It was the perfect way to celebrate the new year - old friends, new friends, Auld Lang Syne and all that.

(Although I suppose that everyone in my group qualifies as a new friend - I met them all less than a year ago, which is odd considering how close we've become.)

Lauren and I had slept over Nicole's house that night, and both woke up bright and early New Year's Day. Or, you know, at 9:00. With Nicole still sleeping, the two of us decided to walk to Starbucks to get coffee, and quickly realized that it was a beautiful day. The winds of the Santa Ana's had passed, but the heat stayed, giving us the most gloriously clear, sunny morning to kick off 2008. We walked up to Melrose, marveling at the weather and the quiet city streets, feeling somewhat like we were the only people in town - the only survivors in a disaster movie, perhaps, or, more likely, the only Angelenos not hungover on New Year's morning.

We sat in the sunshine as we sipped our iced coffees, and once I again I felt so thankful for my life, for the decisions I have made, and for things that fell into place so easily, it was like they were decided for me. An hour passed and we made our way back to Nicole's, woke her up, and went back out the door for an hour walk around the neighborhood. I can say with the confidence that this is the first time EVER that I've exercised on New Year's morning.

I cherished every second and thought to myself that the first few hours of 2008 couldn't possibly have been better spent. From the bottom of my heart, I wish you all many moments like that this year.



6 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that your faithful reader and probably longest-time commenter's nerd name is spelled H-U-P-H-T-U-R?

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was weird how quiet the town was on New Year's Day, wasn't it. The freeway was positively deserted as I drove to the trailhead.

Happy New Year to you. Hope your 2008 is spectacular. :)

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

It WAS a glorious day and it WAS a wonderful way to start the new year with two people I ADORE.

And that was some good Asian Green Bean Salad (go Mom MacBlogger!)

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger AmyBow said...

that sounds wonderful...it is in the 20s here and an iced coffee sounds like torture. wish i was there!

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds amazing! my only resolutions this year were to start the year off NOT hungover and drink less in general. i couldn't agree more - it was wonderful to step out into the new year with a clear head [for the first time in years.] here's to '08!

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knew Starbucks would be open on New Years! That's just like you! Good to hear someone knows the meaning of Auld Lang Syne! May the rest of your year be stellar!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home