Sunday, December 04, 2005

Weekend highlights

This weekend marked the official opening of the Equinox in Westwood, and it is truly the nicest workout facility I've ever seen. It's so nice, in fact, that I feel like I need an upgrade in the lifestyle department just to validate my membership.

I remember thinking that the Pasadena branch was above and beyond; this club makes that one seem ghetto by comparison. The size and set-up of the main floor are similar, but here, each piece of equipment is brand spanking new. The locker room is furnished in dark cherry wood, and has a comfy lounge in case I wanted to catch up on must-see-TV. While the Pasadena branch has a windowed wall, the view overlooks Pasadena; here, an entire wall stretches over Wilshire Blvd, the UCLA campus, and the Santa Monica mountains, offering something else to look at beside the new flat-screen TV's. Can I move in?

I would say that that would be the highlight of my weekend, but it wasn't. The real highlight was seeing the movie "Walk the Line" on Friday night. I don't go to the movies too often because I don't usually like them all that much and certainly don't like having to get there early to get a decent seat only to have to listen to someone else chewing popcorn in your ear for 120 minutes. But I had heard this one might be worth it, and, for once, it was. It was the first movie I've seen in a loooooooooong time that I didn't want to end. Everyone keeps talking about Reese Witherspoon's performance as June Carter Cash, and yes, she was excellent, but I think the true star was Joaquin Phoenix, maybe because he had more to prove. I'm now obsessed with all things Johnny Cash and I would gladly see it again, which says something.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home