Monday, November 28, 2005

Now I know why he calls it "Reality Blurred"

What is it about reality television stars that makes them seem so approachable? Like you think you know them, but even more so, that they should know you. Is it that we see them week after week in emotionally charged situations - embarrassing themselves, sharing intimate confessions, triumphing against all odds? Or is just that we feel like they are one of us, a real person plucked from obscurity to enjoy a well-deserved 15 minutes of fame?

I was in the gym tonight, and overheard the guy next to me tell his trainer that his cousin was Kelly, the yummy delicious winner of the Apprentice, Season 2. My ears perked up, and as soon as I finished my set of tricep extensions, I jumped on that conversation like I had been part of it. Not that I was, of course. Like a puppy dog looking to please, I basically just reiterated what I had heard the guy say (you're his cousin?), that I loved the show (as if he had anything to do with the production of it), that Kelly was the only brain on that season, and that I once ran into Kelly in the supermarket in New York (as if that matters to anyone, anywhere).

I don't typically talk to people at the gym unless they talk to me first, and I don't spend too much time in general overthinking things I've said and wishing I could take them back. But really, what was I thinking? I kind of forgot for a moment that I've never actually met Kelly. Just watched him every Thursday night outperform his peers on a 13 week job interview. I must have come across like some celeb-obsessed starlover - a huge faux pas in LA to begin with, and even more pathetic when you consider that it is Kelly and not a real celebrity we're talking about.

Which is exactly my point. This gym guy could have been anyone's cousin, but I never would have said something if he were related to say, Ben Affleck (although we are both from Boston) or, to use a TV star with a similar level of weekly familiarity, Matt LeBlanc. I guess there's just something to be said about reality TV and my own personal obsession with it that makes me blur the lines between TV and well, reality.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home