Sunday, November 20, 2005

Love Letter

Dear Grey's Anatomy,

What is it? What did I do to you that made you feel it necessary to make me cry every Sunday?

Was it that when I first saw the trailers, way back last spring, I thought, "What a lame show. They want to be part E.R., part O.C., for people with a low I.Q." Are you still holding that against me? Well, I'm sorry - I didn't know! No one did. Not even you ! I read in Los Angeles magazine that your original pilot had to be reworked to better mesh with the tone of then-happening Desperate Housewives. Whatever you were initially, you weren't snarky enough, or campy enough, or good enough to follow DH - so don't go thinking you're all that when really I had you pegged before your fancy writers and directors and ABC money made you all relevant and sensitive and stuff.

I'm sorry I'm so emotional. I can't remember exactly when it started. But I can tell you the second it got out of control, and that was the moronic yet amazingly emotional impalement show that aired Halloween weekend. I mean, I may have had some wine that night, and it may have been the week or so after a little bit of a relationship ended, but you know, I cried way more than I should have. Probably not so much for the way the cute impaled girl so bravely made jokes about her doomed condition than the way it really reflected the strength Meredith showed against Dr. McDreamy, but no matter what the reasons, I think ABC owes me a box of tissues and an apology to my neighbors who I may possibly have kept awake that night.

Even before that was the episode when Sandra Oh lost her bastard baby. Rather than stretch the throat lumping over 45 minutes, you packed the same amount of heartache into the last 2, where she's curled up in the arms of Isaiah Washington, their tiny silhouette against the hospital
bed a stark metaphor for her newfound vulnerabillity. Oh, it hurt so good.

Tonight's episode was tame by contrast, but I guess I read a lot into the Thanksgiving theme, wishing I was celebrating with my family in my favorite cranberry-colored J. Crew sweater. It's also possible that I read too much into Meredith's admission to Alex that she didn't want to be around anyone because she would spread the misery, and then I just felt SO bad for Izzie that her friends all stood her up, and really, if I'm going to have someone make me cry every week, they really ought to take me for dinner first or something. Or pay for my blepharoplasty.

So that's it, Grey's Anatomy, I love you and I hate you. But most of all I need to you convince ABC to bring back Extreme Makeover so I can get rid of these bags under my eyes, no doubt caused from my weekly meltdown. What do you say to corporate synergy?

Love,
Lori



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home