Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Thanksgiving countdown

A week from right now I'll be home in Boston for the Thanksgiving holiday. Any other year I think I'd be dreading the hassles associated with holiday travel, but I'm just missing home so much right now I want nothing more than to be sitting among the cat hair on my mom's living room couch, glass of wine in one hand, tv remote in the other.

It's going to go by so fast. Maria is picking me up from the airport on Wednesday and we'll go out to dinner somewhere. I am spending Thanksgiving with my mom, and then that night I am supposed to see all of my high school friends and meet Cheryl's new baby, Drew. Friday morning I will see my dad for breakfast. Friday afternoon and Saturday I guess I will just relax, and then I am catching a super-early (7AM) flight back on Sunday because it was one of the only reasonably-priced flights left. By then I'm sure I will be ready to return, but right now I am wishing I had taken Monday and Tuesday off as well and just made a week's trip out of it. Work is slow enough that I actually could have done that, although at the time I didn't want to waste the vacation days.

I am taking a number of days off for Christmas, and am planning to be in Mass for a good 6-7 days then. Even that seems so short, but when I'm home, the time goes by so slowly. I'm so used to certain things - the gym, the internet, digital cable - and I get a little anxious without them. Plus, every Christmas it seems, 2-3 days are spent snowed in on the couch, unable to go anywhere. Anywhere except the fridge, where there is always another glass of wine ready for the taking.

UPDATE 11/16: I'm sorry. Apparently I thought yesterday was Wednesday. Wishful thinking I suppose.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home