Saturday, November 14, 2009

Eat, pray, leave entirely underwhelmed

I'm having a hard time striking up enthusiasm for this blog, but am just not yet ready to quit. I keep thinking that my writing wit will come back and I'll want a place to put the words, but for now, I'm totally phoning it in. I keep putting off the blogging, waiting til I'm feeling it, but then days go by and it never comes.

That sounds an awful lot like my approach to online dating.

So why am I writing now? For posterity. Because if I don't write things down, I may forget. And if the 20 pound box of journals under my bed hasn't given this away, I need to have a written record of everything. This week I partook in two activities I would like to add to my archives:

Wednesday night I went to magazine release party and met yummy tattooed Top Chef Michael Voltaggio. I don't find tattoos attractive in real life, on real people, but I will grant him the exception. He was kind and gracious and entirely delicious and I would learn to cook if it meant more time with him.

Last night I attended a special two hour yoga class set to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album. I know, I know - when did I become such a hippie? It was one of my favorite gym instructors teaching at a different studio, and the whole thing just sounded so cool and different, I couldn't wait to try it out.

It was okay. For one thing, it's been so long since I've taken a class anywhere besides my own gym, I arrived a little unprepared. My gym has towel service - something I know is a rarity in LA, but is an amenity I'm so used to, it never even occurred to me to bring one. I also completely forgot to bring the big water bottle I had purchased specifically for this class. Turns out I didn't really need either. Despite the class being two hours, I barely broke a sweat.

The album, apparently, is not even an hour. So I think we started a little late, then did a really long meditation warm up, and at the end, did a really long shavasana. Which was nice, I guess. Relaxing. But I could have done that at home. I was really expecting something more challenging. Additionally, the yogis on both sides of me annoyed me, throughout. People almost never annoy me in yoga. I am pretty focused, and so is everyone else. But that's at my gym, which I guess is a little more hardcore than the hippie-dippy yoga studio. The people on both sides of me were chatting, laughing - nothing major, but I was never unaware of them.

Of course, the whole point of yoga - aside from learning how to center yourself and tune out everything else - is that there are no rules and you do what feels good and blah blah birkenstock granola crunch. But you know, I am a serious person and apparently that is how I like my yoga as well. Shut up, show up on time, and let me find peace in peace.

Perhaps I have a little more work to do.

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Noj said...

It seems to me that songs like "Money" would be difficult to find "your center" in and difficult to "tune out" the underlying message of greed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home