Sunday, October 11, 2009

A modern girl's guide to TV Land

Please congratulate me on finally joining the 21st century, as Saturday morning, I upgraded my cable system to include DVR. I know! It's like I plunged head-first into 2005! AND, because I didn't want my in-home entertainment options to end there - or, actually, it was because my neighborhood Hollywood Video store suddenly shut down last week - I also splurged another $5 a month and signed up for Netflix. Crazy, I know. Next thing you know, I'll be starting one of those web-bloggy-things all those hipster kids have. Oh, wait...

I'm writing this four minutes before Mad Men is supposed to start, and I'm resisting every natural instinct I have to sit down and watch it in real time; I've double- and triple-checked, and I am trusting in the fact that it's going to be recorded. Even though - defying all logic - my television set IS TURNED OFF. It's high anxiety time over here, but I guess it's just one of those rites of passage every technology pioneer has to go through. (Can you tell I was never one to use a VCR for anything besides renting videos?)

A nice side effect of getting DVR was the four-hour window in which I was instructed to wait for the cable company. I woke up at 7:30 on Saturday morning, in order to get dressed, get coffee, and make it back to my apartment by 8:00 AM. I spent the first 30 minutes or so drinking my coffee, and then the next three hours, fueled by caffeine and the fact that I could not leave the house, cleaning my apartment. And by cleaning my apartment, I don't mean picking up the clothes that are strewn all over my ironing board and various corners of my bedroom - no, those, sadly, are still there. Instead, I finally decided to tackle the carpet that's been bugging me for the last few years or so, as stains have seemed to multiply without reason.

I poured a solution of white vinegar and water, and, with rag-to-rug, seriously scrubbed every single stain I could see. (Note to self: next time, vacuum first.) I have more work to do in my bedroom, but the living room and dining room carpets are as clean as I've ever seen them. I also did laundry and picked up the rest of the apartment, but the clean carpet was what made my weekend. You know, besides commercial-free, favorite-shows-at-my-leisure TV.

In addition to getting the DVR, I also switched out my HBO for Showtime. This is the second year in a row I've canceled HBO after Entourage ended, but this year I figured I would try something new. Most of the Showtime shows seem to be critically acclaimed and water cooler-worthy, but since I'm coming in halfway through the season on Dexter and Californication, I'm a little shy about starting. It's like I need to catch the first episode of something in order to appreciate it, even though there are obviously a ton of series I never started watching like that and enjoyed just the same. Mad Men is one. How I Met Your Mother is another. I just started watching that last year, and loved it so much, I went out and rented prior seasons on DVD. And speaking of TV (which I feel like I may be doing a lot, from now on), I have to talk about another show I've found myself inexplicably in love with: Roseanne.

I watched Roseanne back when I was in high school, but I never really liked it. The kids were just about my age - Becky a year older than me, Darlene a year younger - and I usually always related to the "kid" characters back then. Their storylines typically mirrored my lifestyle: worries about boys, puberty, popularity. The Connor family, though, was different. I didn't aspire to be either one of the girls, and while they had some funny lines, I remember thinking the whole show was just so over-the-top in its humor - I mean, no one really talked like that - that I couldn't relate. While now, I understand that Roseanne's breed of humor was fairly groundbreaking, at the time, the whole show and it's loud, crass, insult-flinging, poor-white-trash-attitude rubbed me the wrong way.

So when I started catching reruns on TV Land, I was amazed at how laugh-out-loud funny the show seemed to be. Rather than relate to the kids, I found myself naturally identifying with Roseanne; while her life most definitely was not aspirational, and the outlandish writing was still there, it didn't strike me as fake this time, but rather the opposite - raw and real. It's probably no coincidence that I got hooked last winter, at the bottom of a bad economy; while my lifestyle, thankfully, isn't as dire as theirs, I can, for the first time, understand it. And I don't know. I think a lot of the jokes and storylines went over my head, the first time around. The gay characters, the empty nest, the general working-class hardships... I think, as a kid, I was disappointed that this wasn't a classic sitcom, but as an adult, I'm in love with it for being so different.



2 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the DVR! So excited for you.
I would recommend watching Dexter from the beginning, which I am pretty sure is available on the Netflix site! Seriously, streaming video is the best part of that thing. Anyway, Dexter is one of my favorites, and I've watched the entire thing online.
And you totally inspired me to break out the vinegar and tackle my own carpet.

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Noj said...

Kids, it was the fall of 1997 and your uncle Brett, uncle Ryan, and Uncle Mike dragged me into Lucy's on a Saturday night, when uncle Mike says, "Noj, everyone we know is here!"...I love "How I Met Your Mother"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home