Monday, November 02, 2009

Attention-starved

My quest for personal branding power has no end. This time, I am quoted in Fitness magazine offering advice on how to manage your weight during the holiday season.

The topic, specifically, was how to keep from overeating in the office, which is something I felt fairly qualified to discuss. My personal office looks out on the communal candy counter, so every time we get a gift basket, or someone brings in homemade/back-from-vacation/leftover-from-the weekend treats, I have a bird's eye view of the the longing, grazing, and the eventual giving in to the confectionery calories. And let me tell you, after four and a half years (more when you consider my decade-plus of office work history) of watching good food go bad and the same old scenes of coworkers struggling for self control, very few things actually tempt me.

Since we're now officially into the holiday eating season (it's November already!) I'll share the unedited list of tips I sent in to the editor. May it keep us all from gaining weight or losing our self-respect.

- I don't eat anything that's not "special" - i.e. read and green M&M's, drugstore candy, etc. - who cares? If there are amazing cookies or something, I will allow myself, but even those get old by the second week in December, so then they're out.
- Work-wise, I won't allow myself any treats before lunch. I firmly believe that sugar kicks off a vicious cycle in that where, if I don't have it, I don't crave it, but once I do, I want more. I figure if I have to have something, at least wait until after lunch when it is more socially acceptable, or better, yet, around 3 or 4 o'clock when my body is more likely to naturally crave sugar, and the, at least, I can minimize the cycle. I also always try to throw half of whatever it is away before I even eat it.
- I don’t eat anything “passed” at parties, because I know once I have one, I won’t stop. Better to make a rule not to eat anything. Also, eating passed hors de oeuvres while you are speaking to someone is messy and rude, so I just picture myself stuffing food in my face in public, and the temptation usually passes. I also picture all the hands that have brushed the food on the platter, and get grossed out. That’s also good for the buffet.
- When I am sitting down and getting full, I’ll pour salt, pepper, or otherwise ruin what’s left of my food so I won’t eat it. (this works year-round).



1 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Noj said...

Wow! Published again! Thanks for the tips, never ruined my plate with salt and pepper before, will try at home!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home