Monday, August 04, 2008

Whatever mileage we put on, we'll take off

So, I made it back from Atlanta without any dead bodies in my airplane cabin. Or getting shot at in the clubs. Not that I went to any clubs. I was in Atlanta for less than 24 hours, and due to the nature of my business, never left the grounds of the airport.

I went to work on Friday, but came home and crashed as soon as the day was over. This was the first weekend in a while that I had all to myself, and I really wanted to take advantage of it. By doing Absolutely Nothing.

Saturday I woke up, got my brows done, went food shopping, cleaned my apartment, went to the gym, went out to dinner, and saw the movie Hancock. Going in, I had thought I had known the premise - that Hancock was a surly superhero - but I thought he was saving people from the end of the earth. In New York. It wasn't until halfway through the film and the characters were still in Los Angeles that I realized I had been confused with I Am Legend. Hey, Will Smith - typecast, much?

After that movie, I came home and watched The Elephant Man on HBO. I have memories of watching that movie, hands covering my eyes, when I was maybe eight years old. This was the first time I'd seen it as an adult and could really understand the storyline. What a brilliant, heartbreaking film. Also scary. I had to watch the last half hour of Ferris Bueller to lighten my thoughts before I went to bed. (Because, after two weeks, I am sleeping in my own bed again! With the lights off! Like a normal person!)

Sunday I ran more errands, and found myself at a Linens-N-Things which was going out of business, and the entire store was 40% off. I got a 15-piece knife set (for all the cooking I do!) for $11.99, and spent about an hour in the bedding department where they had my favorite sheets on sale for such a steal! The only problem - every single set was for a King bed. Do you have a King? If so, I highly suggest you run, not walk, to that store and pick up a few sets. I'm talking 600-thread count sheets in normal, neutral colors for at least 40% off the regular price. I was so sad I couldn't find any for Queens.

That afternoon I got a pedicure, then found myself with about an hour to spare until my yoga class would start at the gym. I figured I should probably take advantage of the time and do some cardio, but I was afraid to put on socks and sneakers in case that might smudge the polish. Instead, I opted to wait for the class, where I could just show up to the gym in my flip flops, toes and pedicure exposed. Naturally, as I walked up the stairs to the locker room, I tripped over the flimsy shoes and stubbed my toe, thereby chipping said polish.

You'd think with my amazing grace that I'd be struggling more with this yoga thing; I realized early on, though, that one of the things I like about yoga is that I am surprisingly good at it! I've always been very flexible, and, since I've lifted weights for so many years, find myself able to get into and hold many of the advanced poses. I'm not particularly coordinated and struggle with balance, but I am no worse, and often better than, many of the people in the class. Of course, one of the main principles of yoga is that no one is better than anyone else and we all just do our best; but I am competitive when it comes to fitness and I get a kick out of the fact that I can practically put my leg behind my head ALREADY. Bring it, suckas!

Sunday's class was super-challenging and a total sweatfest and at one point, I burst into a spontaneous giggle. It just felt so good. I've experienced a runner's high before, but this was pure, unabashed giddiness. Bring. It.

After such a relaxing weekend, I felt balanced and even energized today, and had a fantastic run tonight on the treadmill. It's like, after finally having a handful of days in which I am totally in control of what I eat, how I exercise, and how much time I have to relax and rejuvenate, my body and mind are on an entirely different playing field. I feel like a finely tuned machine, fully in charge, rather than some supporting character that's just showing up for her mark, reciting her lines, and going through the motions without having any time to heed Ferris: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Labels:



6 Comments:

At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been firmly anti yoga for years for what are probably silly reasons--i am double jointed and prone to hyper extending, i am racked with tendinitis, i don't feel like i've worked out if my heart rate isn't sky high.

but i've got to say my friend, you've got me almost wanting to try it!

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got me wanting to try yoga, too! I've been doing pilates, but have been kinda wanting to inch up to yoga. Who knows.
And I'm with you about the Will Smith movies- I skipped Hancock because I figured if I'd seen one, I'd seen 'em all. Although, he is pretty nice to watch.. :)

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll third the "you've got me wanting to try yoga" sentiment going on here. Right after I get the doctor to examine my severely-in-pain knee, that is...

Sounds like a nice way to spend a weekend. Sometimes you just have to stop and rest the brain for a bit. Occasionally I'll spend a weekend at home and tell those I know "I spend $X for rent every month, I should enjoy the place once in a while!"

Nice use of the Bueller philosophy! :)

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend. Yoga makes me very happy too. :)

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you making the best of your free time.

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez sorry to hear you were in Atlanta and never made it out of the airport environs. That's a pretty miserable way to view the city. Still, it may be our best face, as it's the only thing that actually 'works' consistently and reasonably 'well'. And of course for the moment it's 'safe', w/o the guns our dear benighted Gov. Stupid wants to have people to wear for 'saftey' purposes. But getting shot in the ATL is just like saying 'Howdy'. It can be friendly & meant well. You gotta ask, really. Cheers, 'VJ'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home