Thursday, January 31, 2008

Turn and face the strain

Just a quick update to let you know that I am back in LA after a fantastic trip to New York. My work event was a huge success, and I spent every evening catching up with friends. Physically, I am exhausted, but mentally, I am energized, and oddly excited to go into work tomorrow, to ride the wave of momentum this trip created. In the meantime, I have to shower soon and head out to dinner to see my friend Laura off for her last night living in LA. Sigh.

Ironically, when I was back east (I almost just wrote "when I was back home"), I spent a few nights consoling a friend whose other friend was, today, moving out of town. To Florida. With her husband. My friend, who has known this girl since college and has been close with ever since, was devastated at this loss, to say the least. Terrified of change and the idea that she's being left behind, I could understand all too well. But it made me remember that so much good can come from change, and that if you can get past the immediate vacancy, there's ultimately room to become so much more fulfilled.

When I left New York I thought I had hit my good friend quota - I couldn't possibly make any more friends like the ones I had there. But, three years later, I have, and I didn't have to sacrifice my former relationships to get them. Rather, I simply found more room in my heart for everyone.

Labels: , ,



2 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know that NYC worked out. Distance can put strain on relationships and you should feel that life isn't going to be the same but just because it isn't the same doesn't leave room for better ... Perhaps a cowboy shooting from the hip, will hit the mark, your heart.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Aww! This is SO true! I feel bad that you are losing a friend to miles, but I also know you are a great person and will find other friends to fill that void. Hang in there and keep up this great attitude! And congrats on a successful event and trip to NYC (which, btw, can ALSO be known as "home" if you want it to be...). :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home