Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Random Wednesday Goodness

I don't have much to write this week - basically, I am just posting for the sake of posting. I have been practicing some writing exercises lately - just for fun! flexing my brain muscles! - and the one tip I see over and over again is to just start writing, not edit, and keep going for five, fifteen minutes straight. That's not what I intend to do here - thankfully for you - but I thought it might get the blood pumping.

Oddly, just when I decide to start trying to write more, more writing has found its way to me. I've picked up a couple of freelance assignments recently that are easy for me to do, but challenging in a way I haven't been in a couple years. It's also nice to have some extra cash flowing in, even though said cash is going to straight to my AMEX bill. I've been eyeing some new bags and some shoes and maybe shooing the bags under my eyes, but for now, I'm just doing what I can to break even.

On the work-front, I am headed to New York next week for another Spa event. I leave on Saturday morning, and will spend the night with my friend Kristin. Sunday I'll head into the city, and I'll spend four days in the frigid cold before heading back here on Thursday. Despite the temperature, I am actually looking forward to the change in scenery and seeing my friends. Apparently if I stay stationary too long I get antsy. Wasn't I just complaining that I travel entirely too much?

Maybe so, but I did get bit by a little travel bug this morning. My friend Karen, Briztow's mom, sent me photos from her recent honeymoon in the Virgin Islands. Looking at the blue skies and white sand and crystalline water and rolling hills had me salivating even before I noticed the bottles of champagne and wine and rum and beer in every photo. Mmm, vacation. No sooner had I closed out of Snapfish than I received another email from my friend Lauren, this time directing me to Kodak to look at her album from France and Germany. The opposite of the Caribbean, Western Europe was snow-white and bitter cold, but I couldn't help but want to be there.

I've mentioned before that I went to Europe once, when I was 19. It was an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime kind of trip, but I never really ached to go back. I just remember the hassles of the different languages, different currencies, and living out of a suitcase for five weeks straight, and I was happy to have my European adventure behind me, residing only in photos and memories. But, after looking at Lauren's pictures today, I miss it. I've missed a lot, it seems.

What I won't miss, however, is tonight's Project Runway, on in 10. Aufweidersen!

Labels:



3 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think about going to Europe now, the dollar is worth nothing and everything will be SO expensive. Instead, invite some Euro's over and have them spend lots of moneys here! They will feel RICH!

And it's "Auf wiedersehen"

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh! NYC! Could you sneak me in your luggage? I would love to go home again! Please have a $20 drink for me at the bar. Go to Starbucks and get a copy of The New York Times and read only the Metro section. Stop by Bloomies and pick me up a new pair of shoes Lastly have Peking Duck in Chinatown. Go Knicks!

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I could have written about half this post myself.

I've never been to Europe; at the time most of my friends were going I was working and didn't have any money anyway. After a hike a couple of weeks ago a friend was showing me pictures from her trip last year and it only served to whet my appetite more. It was her fourth trip, and she's only twenty-three.

Lately I've been slightly obsessed with the idea of hiking the Dolomites in Italy (and, of course, touring the rest of the country as well). I know how you feel about "missing a lot".

If you need a travel partner for your trip... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home