Sunday, August 19, 2007

Boot Camp

This is the second Sunday in a row that I am writing this while forcing my body to sit upwards; I am just thoroughly exhausted. I took my third nap of the week just now. That's three more naps than I have taken in the last year.

Anyway, enough complaining. I went to Barry's Boot Camp this morning and it was awesome! My friend recommended the 10 AM instructor because she was fairly "easy" and wouldn't yell at us like some of the other instructors are known to do. That sounded great to me, except, that, even on the best of days, I am not a morning workout person. I can do it if I have to, but I usually prefer to have a day's worth of food digested in my belly and a few liters water to hydrate me before doing anything grueling. I wasn't going to wake up at 5AM for that, though, so I made sure to take it easy last night on the town, and woke myself up at 8 this morning.

The workout itself was challenging, but not not to the point where I thought I'd pass out, which, based on other stories I'd heard, was what I had been expecting. What I hadn't been expecting was how small the room was, and how overwhelmingly hot and it humid they kept it. The website shows a wide-angle photo of the room, that, with the mirrors, looks pretty big and spacious. In reality, it was just a typical exercise studio - no bigger than the ones at my gym - that hold maybe 30 people, max. When we hopped on our treadmills, the fans were blowing a nice cool breeze. As soon as the music started, however, the fans went off. The room temperature suddenly went up about 25 degrees, matching the 90 degree day outside. "Let me know if you need the fans," the instructor said. "I'm not one of those teachers that won't turn them on." Thank God. She did turn them on, but not until after we finished with the treadmills. Thanks.

The workout structure basically went: Treadmills, weights (arms), treadmills, weights (legs) followed by abs and a cool down. The hardest part for me was the second round of weights, when we did tons of leg lifts and glute work, and I realized how much I overlook that area in my regular workouts. Sitting at a desk all day can't help much, either. But the whole thing was over before I knew it, and I signed up for a few more classes to go back for.

After the class, Diana and I met Nicole for brunch, and then Nicole and I did a quick Target run since we were on that side of town. I got home around 3 PM, and have alternated between my couch and bed since, only sitting up long enough to write this post.

I picked up some vitamins at Target, thinking maybe that will help keep my energy up if I'm going to be amping up my workout routine like this. The irony of all this is that Diana, who I went with today, was up at 6:30 AM with her son; after she left us, she was heading to a fantasy football draft, and then, tonight, to the Beastie Boys concert. Compared to that, I have absolutely no business complaining about being tired.

But you know I will anyway.

Labels:



6 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. I did Barry's ONE DAMN TIME before it became all cool (probably about 7 years ago). And it was with Barry himself. Good Lord. I still haven't recovered. I actually left in the middle of the class because I was sure I was going to puke - Barry was nice enough to follow me outside and ask if I was alright. I finished but good for you for feeling it went by quickly!! You're my hero. And you got to hang out with two of my favorite people! :)

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger *kb* said...

That sounds AWESOME! I love workouts like that!! You hate it at the time, but you go back for more! LOL!!

In addition to the vitamins make sure you're getting enough protein! I tend to be guilty in that area and half the time I don't realize it until I think about what I've eaten for the day!!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Meeks - I know! I was with good peeps!

KB - That's exactly what my mom said! How MUCH protein should I be getting? I always make it a point to eat it, but I have no idea of how much I'm actually getting. Like, I know offhand how many calories are in just about everything, but protein, no way...

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Diana said...

I deserve no more kudos than you my friend. Just that particular sunday (minus the 6:30am with the boy) was especially jam packed. I can tell you that the day was extra fun (despite my personal dramas following throughout the day) but was glad to have gone with you as concert food for the dieter isn't always good.

Today my arms are the only things that KILL which is surprising as I thought I was going to have a knot in my ass all day today. No such luck.
Got right back on the treadmill this morning for a quickie 3 miler and feel much better already about the kettle corn injested last night.

See you next sunday!!

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you know how to have a good time!

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger *kb* said...

Hey Lori, this calculator should give you an idea as to how much protein you should consume each day! http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp

I don't eat red meat or chicken, so it's pretty easy for me not to eat enough, but being conscience helps!! :-) A lot of times I'll have a protein shake right after my workouts and I think that's helpful, just make sure it's not a sugar filled powder! I like Jay Robb, no crap included!

Protein helps your muscles repair and recover!! Ok, this is probably more info than you needed! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home