Monday, July 30, 2007

Blue and White and red all over

I'll post "the truth" answer tomorrow, but I find it fitting that just when I am purging all of my sins (well, not all of them), I find myself dressed in head-to-toe white for a White Party I went to on Saturday night.



Okay, so it's not the most virginal outfit, but I would say we were some of the more virtuous there. I mean, this was more the standard fare:



If you watched Sunday night's episode of Entourage, you may recognize the cabana in back of me as belonging to the pool area of the W Hotel, which is by no means a low key place. So I had kind of expected a fashion show. I've also kind of done this before.

Back when I was 24, I tagged along with a friend to her Hamptons share for a weekend, and found myself having to get ready for a White Party - without a stitch of white in my overnight bag. Now, back in 2000, white wasn't as popular as it is today. Designer jeans were just starting to become the Saturday night staple, taking over the reign of black pants, but no one, at least not that I knew of, wore white. Yet, that evening, I was the only one at a party full of hundreds of people not wearing white, and I was extremely self-conscious the entire time. I refused to make the same mistake twice.

Searching for the perfect white outfit, even now though, was not easy. Dresses were either too dowdy and demure or too see-through and slutty. I own a lot of white separates, but none of them exactly matched each other, let alone looked good together, so I spent the better part of my Saturday shopping.

I ended up having to choose between two outfits. On on hand, I purchased a very pretty, very flattering cotton and linen Calvin Klein dress. It was lovely. But. I felt like a debutante in it, or maybe a wedding cake accoutrement. My other option was the sexy tank top that I felt much more at home in, although I wasn't loving how it looked with the white culottes from my closet. It wasn't the most flattering line around my hips and butt, but the shirt was low cut enough that I figured no one would be looking at my hips anyway.

I tried both outfits on twice. I couldn't decide. I wished I had a neighbor whose opinion I could solicit. (I do, but that would be weird. Really.) Then I remembered that I live in a world with awesome technology, and I used my cameraphone to photograph myself in both outfits, and send them to Laura for her near-instant opinion. She voted for the sexy shirt, and I'll be bringing the dress back to the mall next Saturday. What DID we do before the internet?!

Speaking of technology, I also purchased a Bluetooth this weekend. I set it up all by myself, and was so excited when my phone rang as I drove home from the gym tonight. I clicked the button, heard a voice, but could not figure out how to attach the damn thing to my ear. Baby steps, I suppose. Baby steps.

Thanks, everyone, for playing the meme game! Truth be told tomorrow!



2 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Really, what DID we do before technology??!! Ha! You looked adorable, although I'm sure you would have no matter which outfit you wore!

And a white party?? Damn, we are so boring in Michigan...I have NEVER been invited to a "white party" and now you've been invited to two. No fair! ;o)

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to a summer camp where we had to wear all white for shabbat every friday night. I know, how jewy of me, but seriously it stressed me out as a KID. I can't imagine trying to find one all white outfit now, let alone many.
Second, I love that you just used the word accoutrment and culottes in the same post. That's fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home