Thursday, August 09, 2007

Playing games

Just when I was complaining that I don't meet many guys in my daily life, I got hit on last night by a very cute waiter. Or actor. Waiter-slash-actor.

I'm not typically into either type (I prefer men with stable jobs that don't keep them working past midnight) but he won me over the second he slipped me his um, business card:



(I wrote the "maybe" on there, with the heart, in case you couldn't guess. Apparently I like to be difficult.)

I may have mentioned before that when it comes to dating, I often take the playground approach, meaning I would much rather tease a guy or kick him in the shins than ever make the first move. In fact, just recently I was telling a friend that my only reliable pick-up lines were when I point to a guy's chest so he looks down, and then I flick him in the nose; when I stand behind a guy and tap him on the opposite shoulder so that he looks the other way; and when I knock a guy's knees out from behind so he loses his balance and sways forward.

I'm sure you must be mystified as to how I am still single.

In any case, this guy spoke my language! We talked and flirted for a bit, but I guess I felt the need to show him how alike we were in our approaches, as I asked him to get me a piece of notebook paper. He came back with a print-out of his work schedule, and I went to work, doing what I thought was only natural: I made him an origami fortune teller.

(Yes, I do find it amusing that I can't remember most of what I learned in high school, but the childhood game of paper-folding-with-a-purpose, I can pull out of my head with no problem.)

If I were a natural flirt, I probably would have thought to make the fortunes something fun, like "You must kiss a pretty girl in the next five minutes." I'm clearly leaning towards the Rain Man side of things in the boy department, however, and I kept most of the fortunes pretty basic and boring.

I think it enamored him nonetheless. We chatted via email all day today. And after a stunt like that? I'd totally date me. But at the very least, I'm thrilled to have a new pickup line.

Labels:



7 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

We really do have to get some of those cards....

 
At 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are totally adorable! Seriously. That's the cutest thing I read in, like, forever.

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger *kb* said...

Love it!! My actions are very similiar to yours!! I like to call it tough love! ;) Keep us posted and that card is SUPER cute!

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Woo hoo, a new interest!! This is better any day of the week than "meeting" some random on Match, isn't it? ;o)

Can't wait to see where this goes! And I love that I don't even need to tell you to have fun with it...you're clearly doing that just fine on your own. YAY!

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori's got some playground mojo.
Loving it!!!

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is adorable!

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go! Flirt away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home