Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Weekend rewind

Question: Is it bad not to return a phone call from someone you haven't even met? I can't do Match anymore - I'm all out of steam.

Other things I am out of: energy. For the last few days, I have felt tired and lethargic, and oh, about 12 pounds heavier than this time last week, reminding me, yet again, that my body just does not recover from weekend benders nearly as well as it used to.

Not that this weekend would qualify as a bender, by any means, just a very busy two days in which I got to play Entertainment Director for one of my oldest and dearest and bestest friends, Maria, who came to visit on Friday. Maria and I went to college together, lived in New York together, and then moved out of New York, if not physically together, at the same time. I've seen her only a handful of times since then, mostly for a single afternoon or shared with a larger group; but this weekend, for probably the last time before she gets married this year, she was all mine.

I picked her up from the airport around 1:00 on Friday, and after she dropped off her bags at my place, we headed over for lunch at the Viceroy. Sat by the pool, had some wine, huge salads, and just talked the afternoon away. We came back to my place around 5:00, and just relaxed for a few hours before meeting up later with our friend Ryan at the Village Idiot. Ryan had been in our dorm Freshman year, in our lives all through college, and then in New York for five years until he moved out here.

Saturday was gorgeous, so we headed to the beach, and she reminded me how lucky I was to live here. Not that I forget, per se, but I admit that I have started taking certain things for granted. After a few hours sitting in the sun, we walked down the block to Baja Cantina, where we met our friend Seth for lunch. Seth had also gone to Syracuse, also lived in the City, and also moved out here around the same time as Ryan. (Clearly I followed a trend.) Margaritas and chips filled our afternoon, and we came back to my place and crashed for a few hours before having to get ready for dinner.

I had made reservations at Koi, hoping for a fun, scene-y atmosphere, and we went with our friend Lauren, one of our sorority sisters who just moved to LA this year. There were paparazzi outside, but if they were waiting for anyone in particular, we never saw who. The restaurant was okay. I don't eat sushi, but can usually find something on the menu; both Maria and Lauren agreed it was average at best. (Have I ever told the story about when I cried on a sushi date? I can't possibly understand how I'm single.)

After dinner, we picked up Ryan so he could take us to one of the night clubs he handles publicity for. Yes, a club. We were the oldest ones there by at least five years, and both Maria and I were stifling back yawns, but honestly, it was just so nice to all be together. Pretending we were 25 again. We left before 1:30, but by the time I dropped Ryan and then Lauren off and got back to my place, it was 2:00 AM. Crash.

Sunday morning we both woke up by 8:00, even though my body was screaming at me to stay in bed. We walked to get coffee, sat bleary eyed on the couch, and headed back to the airport shortly after 10:00. I was back at my place by 11:00, and while I couldn't go back to sleep, I also couldn't do anything productive. So I started a second blog.

The last two days have been busy at work, and focusing on my projects has drained me of what little energy I have. Now I sit again at the computer, procrastinating letting one Match guy down and blatantly ignoring another. I totally have a case of the Tuesdays.

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Your weekend sounds great! Catching up with friends from the past is so fun. I must say that I will bug you for a long time until you regale us with the crying sushi date story. Cuz' I'm mean like that... ;o)

Hope your Wednesday is filled with more energy! I feel your pain, sista!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

started a second blog?

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Jill said...

I don't know when it happened to me but I suddenly feel way too old to go to clubs. I'm just looking around thinking, "crazy kids!!" lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home