Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Swimming (or wading) in metaphors

One night, my junior year of college, a very drunk senior boy grabbed me by the arm, looked straight into my eyes, and delivered an impassioned plea: "Lori, never settle. You are one of a kind, I hope you know that. Just promise me that you will never settle."

Back when I was only 20 years old, I took a lot of things to heart, and this was no doubt one of them. But long after I realized that much of what was said back then was done so under the veil of intoxication or, at the very least, with the self-importance of late adolescence, that statement, that demand, has stuck with me. Maybe it helped that the person who said it later became more than a bar crush, but a good friend. Someone whose opinion I valued, though never fully understood. And while most guys who whispered sweet nothings in my ear that year surely wouldn't remember what they said, this guy not only remembered, but reiterated the same sentiment to me for years after that first night. For reasons I will never know, he always really believed it. And that helped me believe in myself.

I haven't talked to the guy much since I moved to LA, but his words haunt me now more than ever. For the past two months, I have forced myself to do Match. Forced myself to open my mind, give guys who I wouldn't normally look twice at, a second glance, a first date. It's not that I'm so picky - at all. Please let it be known that a lot more guys pass me over than the other way around. But I tend to have a type, and I know it when I see it. I didn't see too much of it online. This time, though, I changed my rules: I allowed myself to make the first move, I corresponded with guys whose pictures I wasn't attracted to. I expanded my search options for age, height, education, distance, etc. But when it came time to save it as an official search, to come back to later, I had to call it like I saw it: "Lower Standards."

And that's where I wonder: At what point did "opening my mind" become a delicate euphemism for "lowering my standards"? Am I being too judgmental, or simply maintaining my integrity? What's the difference between taking pride in yourself and being so full of pride that you can't get past your own big head? Is it still considered "the dating game" if I'm not having any fun?

I've had so many people tell me to give the guys a chance, that they fell in love with their boyfriend/fiancee/husband only after they turned off their initial, discriminating judgment. But then on the other hand, I've watched as countless friends have fallen in love in an afternoon, in the blink of an eye, without having to turn off anything but their vibrators. I can't help but believe that when it happens, I'll know. And until then, I guess I feel like it's just not worth compromising my time.

Time, of course, is the one thing that won't compromise with me.

In my daily life, I don't meet a lot of guys. I meet even fewer guys that I am attracted to. And of those, I meet even fewer who are single, straight, and equally attracted to me. Bottom line: my dating pool is more like a puddle. In a desert. It doesn't exist.

Which is why the online stuff keeps sounding attractive at the outset. For a small monthly fee, I can splash in all the puddles I want, get my feet wet and hope that one of them will turn out to be deep enough to take the plunge, dive head first into cooling relief. Except that I can never get past the murky water to see how deep it might go; because when it comes down to it, I don't want a piddly puddle. I want the grand Pacific Ocean, and that, I have to believe, I will recognize when I see it.

Or I will die alone, dehydrated in the desert, my last thought regretful for not taking a drink when I had the chance.

Labels:



14 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger *kb* said...

I can SO relate!! This is a great post, thank you!! :)

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Fantastic writing, Lori! I *heart* metaphors. :o)

You said it yourself: you will just know when you know. I honestly always doubted that stupid saying myself until one day, when I wasn't looking and didn't really give a damn either way, I just...knew. So DO NOT settle, so NOT feel bad that you are being picky, because if you aren't and you do end up settling for someone that doesn't automatically make you "just know," that will mean you won't be open and available to the man who someday WILL. Does that make any sense at all?... ;o)

Basically, just keep doing what you're doing, and being who you are. There are plans for you...

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautifully written post. I felt as though you were walking around in my brain when I read it (though you said it so much more artfully than I ever would). I hear ya sister. My dating pool is a puddle too, and I'm not about to dive into a pool I'm not interested in either just for the sake of saying "I tried." To continue with your metaphor, water seeks its own level my dear...it is bound to take some time for your prince to swim up to where you already are.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger diana said...

Lori - Opening your mind does NOT mean lowering your standards. If you don't want to date the dorky looking guy that works at the apple store and his hobbies include star trek- DON'T. You will never have anything in common and I promise you that isn't who you are supposed to marry. Its wonderful you are doing match- at the very least I am sure it is a nice ego boost every now and again- and it keeps you alive, young, fresh. So when you do meet the MOYD (man of your dreams) you won't be a stuttering fool with nothing to say because you've had so much practice! Or maybe you will cause you will be THAT smitten kitten.

Either way- keep it up. And you know what- if you are bored- then just press pause for a minute and take a break. You are in control of your life at all times- don't let open-open minded-ness affect your dreams. Just be you.

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man my friend, I can SO relate. And opening your mind to new things/situations is NOT lowering your standards, I think it is the opposite, it is raising them, opening them to new possibilities.

A good guy pal (who is N.N. lol) said the following to me and it applies to you as well: "some people are one in a million, but you Amy/Lori, you are one in a trillion."

We must never ever settle my friend. We are too good for that and we both know ourselves well enough to know what will and won't work for ourselves.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Wow. Really well-written and insightful comments from all of you. Thank you.

 
At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if "lowering your standards" could really mean "growing up" -- and I don't mean that in a negative way. I mean that as we get older, we realize that different things matter.

For instance, when I was younger, I could easily not give the time of day to:

a) someone who wasn't gorgeous
b) someone whose name I didn't like -- whether it was first or last name
c) someone who had a stupid laugh
d) someone who breathed too loud
e) someone who wasn't the funniest, cutest, cleverest guy who everyone else thought was amazing
f) someone who wasn't rolling in dough (or destined to roll in it)

The list could go on. I was eliminating 99% of the men out there, for one reason or another.

Then, a bit later in my dating career, I realized that all the guys I dated (the ones that didn't make the mistake of having one of my no-no characteristics) had one thing in common: they weren't very nice.

That's when I realized that "nice" goes a long way. "Nice" makes up for a lot of things (although it doesn't make up for breathing too loud, actually).

When I met Jeremy, he was "nice" and a self-described geek. I didn't find him geeky but he said he was. OK, fine. He also happened to be gorgeous, but that was beside the point.

Meeting someone who was genuinely nice was the reason that I, figuratively, threw out my mental list.

I'm not saying that he's perfect, and he's got some things going on that were on my mental list of no-nos. But the "nice" was nice. And it made me realize what was important.

I'm not saying that that's what you're doing. I'm just saying that opening yourself up to different "types" is a good thing -- it worked for me. I married Jeremy.

 
At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having taken the dive into the deep end, I know it can work, but not everyone swims like a fish. Although, I was a lifeguard, and a hot one too, when I'm in the deep end for say four hours, I tend to dog paddle. This keeps my head above water, but just my head, but that cute geeky girl at the apple store who loves Alias drops like a stone.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Diana: What's wrong with liking Macs and Star Trek?

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that reminds me... when we gonna get some tea?

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Jill said...

When I was on jdate, I decided to expand my dating pool. I dated a bunch of guys I wouldn't normally have been into and guess what? It didn't work out with any of them. But ultimately, I ended up meeting someone on jdate who is exactly my type. So, my advice is to stay on Match and see if anyone on there is someone you'd be into without lowering your standards. You never know who's on there! I think you should respond to and write anyone who seems like they're your type. If they're not, don't bother but if they seem like they might be at all, definitely correspond with them because sometimes it's hard to gauge what they're like based on their profile.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Suzie said...

my dating pool was declared a wasteland by the national park service. hang in there it's not so bad being alone

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger The Flying Enchilada said...

You want what you want, what's wrong with that. Don't settle. When the right person comes along, you'll know it. The grass is always greener. I envy that you've made your own life. That you've had that time to yourself. I love my husband and I instantly knew he was the one, but I do wonder sometimes what life is like for the single girl.

Live your life and the person who can appreciate how you've lived it will come along.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Diana said...

keith- I live for macs, but not so into the star trek thing. And quite frankly- nothing whatsoever. My exampe was meerly a metaphor for what she may not OR MAY be into....If you are the keith I met once at century city- you are hardly the dork I had illustrated in my head.

And don't tell me you don't know the type.

Nice try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home