Thursday, July 12, 2007

Park Avenue leads to Skid Row

In the interest of service journalism (and, okay, clearing my own head) I took the liberty of researching MySpace trackers tonight. Well, if you consider Google a valid research system.

Everything I found seemed to reiterate what I have heard - that most trackers only give IP addresses and basic information along the lines of Sitemeter, and the few that do show profiles, only show other people who are signed up for the same tracker. And because there are about 10 different kinds of trackers and most invade profiles with a bunch of ugly ads, it's safe to assume they aren't exactly mainstream yet. I did come across a great blog that sums everything up; you can check it out here.

I got a bit sidetracked by one of the tips on the blog, which was entering latitude and longitude points to get the exact cross street for readers. Forgetting about MySpace, I opened my blog Sitemeter and ran down a list of IP addresses I haven't been able to identify. Did it work?

Well, kind of, at least in terms of telling me what I already knew. For instance, if the company name was listed alongside the IP address, then, yes, the street location matched up. But since a lot of businesses work off a proxy, the information isn't accurate to begin with, so I come up with a map of Nebraska or something where I'm pretty sure I don't have any readers.

Residences are the most difficult to pinpoint, and while I found plenty of intersections in LA, New York, and Boston which all seem reasonable, I can't think of anyone who actually lives there. Since I wasn't even sure how accurate Mapquest would be able to track, I decided to enter the coordinates of someone I know, and compare. I used a friend's information as my guinea pig, and was I shocked at what turned up:

Map of Latitude: 34.0416
Longitude: -118.2988


Go ahead and zoom in - the second button to the top is best. See it?

A cemetery. A freaking cemetery.

My friend does not live in a cemetery, but she does live in a house only a few miles away that she swears is haunted. Apparently, an old couple lived and died there two or three tenants before her, and once in a while make their presence known through noises or atmospheric changes or through objects that mysteriously go missing. Do I need to reiterate how I feel about ghosts? Let's just say that I don't want any haunting my blog, even from across town.

Spooked, I tracked my own IP address. Should have just done that in the first place. According to Mapquest, I live somewhere on or about Skid Row. Unfortunately, however, Sebastian Bach is nowhere to be found.

So this concludes my self-assigned research piece. I don't actually care who looks at my MySpace, and the blog tracker is primarily for safety. This whole thing began out of (hopefully needless) embarrassment for OD'ing on a certain gym boy's profile. Although, at this point, I think I should probably be more embarrassed by the amount of time I put into this at all.

Labels:



1 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Diana said...

I don't really have a comment about the tracker research.

I must say after reading your blog for the past couple months it is really kinda weird the similarites between you and I as we barely know each other. This is solely going off your blog postings. Your memories of you and your mom and your childhood ring very close to mine (only child, divorced parents).

My comment is this: I have been PETRIFIED of ghosts since I can remember. In elementary school there was a book on ghosts I used to check out ALL the time, scaring myself to death and getting insomina at a very young age. I am also deathly afraid of the "devil." You know, the exorcist type of devil. I was convinced at 15 that I was next in line for possesion. (didn't happen- I think this particular fear was my catholic upbringing and the fact that I saw a special on 20/20 on exorcism and how it mainly affects teenage girls...yeah. I digress)
However, I do think I saw a ghost once- and I think it was my grandfather (who died before I was born.) Its a long story but all I remember is that it was a fairly peaceful pleasant experience- not scary at all.

Still- we were planning a possible weekend vaca to Hotel coronado and you bet your damn ass I looking into the Loews to see if they have rooms instead.

PS- nic has this yearning to go to a movie at a cemetery- agree or disagree- THAT BITCH IS CRAZY- WHY DO YOU WANT TO SEE A MOVIE AT A F'IN CEMETERY. Pointless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home