Tuesday, June 19, 2007

In which I continue to annoyingly name-drop

In continuation of my Entourage-themed week, tonight I went to the preview of Wolfgang Puck's new restaurant in the Pacific Design Center. Wolfgang himself was there for the event, billed as his homecoming "to the city that made him a star;" and, fittingly, so was Rex Lee, of Entourage, naturally. I may also have seen Kelly, the season two winner of the Apprentice, but since that show is barely relevant anymore, I have to imagine he was among the commoners, and not the red carpet walkers. Nevertheless, he was looking yummy as ever.

The food was fabulous. The crowd was interesting. And I was reminded, once again, that people-watching here is literally a spectator sport. I've commented on this before - that, unlike in New York, there is absolutely no shame in looking people over, in plain view of other guests; that it is not rude, but expected, part of the social dance. Everyone is someone in this town, and we're all trying to figure out who each of us are. I may actually be a nobody; but nobody else is as certain of that as me. They have to look twice just to make sure.

My friend and I grabbed a seat on one of the many sofas, relaxed with our drinks and Wolfgang specials, and said little to each other as we watched the crowd drift by. It was our own private theater production, choreographed with an endless stream of comedic outfits and tragic missteps. No judgments, as Crunch would say, just observations of the crowd courting each other from above the collarbone; grown-ups glancing over and up and down and over again until they either found what they were looking for or decided it wasn't going to be found there that night after all.

"This is what we do to convince ourselves we are happy," my friend said. But I am happy, I thought. It only takes a handful of D-listers and some free food and drink to get on my good side.

But I knew what she meant. We should be doing something more meaningful with our time, like falling in love, decorating a house, raising children. We shouldn't be taking pride in our game of Who's Who, simply to boost our own sense of self-worth.

Isn't that why we live here, though? Not for the celebrities, per se, but for the importance we feel when we have plans on the calendar, friends with whom to meet up, and gossip to share? Until I find something else with which to occupy my time, this suits me just fine. I could do a lot worse than having Wolfgang Puck cook me dinner.

Labels: , ,



4 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

I have to admit. It's not that I'm looking in judgment on any of the people that I blatantly stare at, but I'm a HUGE fan of people watching. I'm constantly fascinated by the differences and yet the crazy similarities between the LA masses. People who try so hard to stand out and yet they all look the same. It's awesome.

And I know you well enough to say, I think you're pretty happy and doing a damn good job of being happy. Just my opinion.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Just to be clear, I've finally fallen in love and finally have a house to decorate, and I STILL find importance in having my calendar full and gossiping with friends. Either that's the way life is ALWAYS supposed to be - np matter where you live - or else I'm completely living between my "old" and "new" lives. Either way, as long as we are happy, who gives a damn? ;o)

Glad you had a great time! People watching is the BEST. Too bad I mostly just see people missing teeth and sportin' mullets, but whatev... Haha!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Yes, I am very happy. :)

You know what it is - I was so excited about seeing these silly people, and at the same time I was embarrassed about being so excited. It's like I'm still new enough to LA to get excited about this stuff, but have been here long enough to know better.

Then again, I wouldn't be a true Gemini if I weren't fraught with contradictions!

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ricky Nelson put it best, "You see, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself". But if you do try to start pleasing everyone, you should know you if you'd like to please me, it'd be my pleasure. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home