Monday, June 11, 2007

From whining to wining

Why am I wearing two sweatshirts and sheepskin boots inside my 70 degree apartment?

Well, because even I get tired of hearing myself complain, I took a break from whining yesterday to go to the gym. There I did more lunges, squats, and dead lifts than I have done in a while, with more weight than I had ever done before. I stretched before and after, warmed up with a run and cooled down with a walk, but none of my diligence prevented my muscles from rebelling in shock today, stiffening up against my joints so that merely walking was a chore.

It actually wasn't bad when I woke up; the worst of it came at the end of the workday, after I had been seated for the greater part of eight hours, and after my drive home, when my body was again, at rest. Finally, after dinner, I hopped into a long-awaited hot shower, hoping to loosen up the muscles and joints and relieve the tension I had felt all day.

One of the benefits of my job is that my company actually makes a product that is ideal for sore muscles. Somewhat like a Ben-Gay, it uses cold and heat therapy to reduce pain - essentially, camphor and menthol cool the area and desensitize nerves, then another ingredient warms the skin, stimulating blood flow. I've used it before, and while it's not a magic cure-all, it works well enough for me to at least walk across the kitchen towards an open bottle of wine. (The only magic cure-all I know.)

So after my shower, I scooped out the product and applied it liberally over my quads and hamstrings. Then I put on my pajamas - drawstring pants and a tank top. Then I grabbed a hoodie from my closet. My Uggs, for good measure. And then things got out of control. I started shivering. Not just quivering, but I was shaking, my teeth chattering. My legs became so damn cold, they literally felt numb. I grabbed the throw blanket from my couch, and dove under my covers - Uggs on and all. I've never taken an ice bath, but suddenly I knew what one felt like. This is ridiculous, I thought. Like a horror movie when a temperature drop indicates the presence of an evil spirit. Don't think I didn't check my room for ghosts. It was bone-chilling enough.

I considered my options: shower, and try to get every ounce of this stuff off me, or layer up and wait for the cold to pass. Hoping to brave it, I bounded out of bed and into my closet, where I grabbed the heaviest sweatpants I own. I shimmied them up over my boots, over my pajama bottoms, thinking they might provide some insulation. No luck. I dove back under the covers, laughing out loud at the craziness, wondering if maybe I was possessed after all.

Finally I couldn't take it anymore. I ran into the bathroom, peeled off the clothes, and stood under another steaming shower for ten more minutes. Sorry, LA. Eventually I climbed out, put new pajamas on, but the cold was still there. Sweatpants went back on, then the hoodie, then an old college sweatshirt that was intentionally bought a size too large, to insulate myself from the blustery days at Syracuse.

When I sat down to write this, I was still visibly shivering. Since that first sentence, however, the heating properties kicked in - I shed the two sweatshirt layers and am genuinely toasty from head to toe. Of course, that may just as easily be attributed to the wine.

Edited to add: And now this is front page news. How bizarre. I am nothing if not on-trend. As I mentioned to Anonymous in the comments, though, our product does not contain this ingredient. Hey - I spot a PR opportunity here!

Labels:



8 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time could you put wine and Syracuse in the same sentence, it does wonders for my ego.

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please be careful with that stuff.
From the Chicago Tribune, June 11, 2007

Teen overdoses on sports cream
When I first heard about the 17-year-old track star who died from using too much anti-inflammatory muscle cream, I thought she had mistakenly eaten it.

But the cross-country runner actually rubbed too much of the pain reliever on her legs, according to the New York City medical examiner, a tragic reminder that chemicals don’t have to be ingested to pose a danger.


The girl's body absorbed high amounts of the active ingredient methyl salicylate, which is used in sports creams like Bengay and Icy Hot, as well as toilet bowl cleaner, mouthwash, pesticides and pet-care products, according to the Household Products Database.

Any product can be dangerous if you use too much. But like most people, the girl's mother, Alice Newman, said she “did not think an over-the-counter product could be unsafe,” according to the Associated Press.

They can and often are if used inappropriately. It's critical to always read labels, especially if you’re pregnant. Salicylates have been shown to cross the placental barrier, though it’s not known if topical application poses a risk to the fetus.

Other health warnings about methyl salicylate gleaned from the Hazardous Substance Databank:

Absorption of methyl salicylate can occur through the skin and death has resulted from systemic poisoning from the local misapplication of the drug. It is a common pediatric poison, and its use should be strongly discouraged.
Children with fever and dehydration are particularly prone to intoxication from relatively small doses of salicylate. ... The use of aspirin is contraindicated in children and adolescents with febrile viral illnesses because of the risk of Reye's syndrome.
The primary route of human exposure is the consumption of consumer products that contain methyl salicylate as a flavoring agent. Methyl salicylate is used in chewing gum, baked goods, syrups, candy, non-alcoholic beverages and ice cream. Other potential routes of exposure include dermal contact resulting from its use in perfumes.
Probable oral lethal dose is between 1 teaspoon and 1 ounce for a 150 pound person.
A good rule of thumb is: If you wouldn’t eat it, don’t slather it on your body.

Meanwhile, for a truly great alternative muscle cream, try products with Arnica montana, a mountain plant. Used to relieve the pain from bruises, stiffness and muscle soreness, it can be found in tablets or in gel form.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Diana said...

did you use tiger balm? I husband is obsessed with it.....

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Diana, no, maybe I should try it! I am still in pain today!

Anonymous, thank you. Our product doesn't have that chemical in it, or any chemicals for that matter, but I definitely felt like something was off. I have used it before and had no such problems. Now I am just going to Aleve route.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the anonymous who posted the comment. I think that it is a crazy story! Also, I started a blog yesterday, yours is my inspiration. Maybe at some point I'll be brave enough to post the link

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Welcome to the blog world Anonymous! Keep me posted!

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a way to email it to you on here (can you tell I'm a blog-tard)so I don't have to post it here?
Anonyomous new blogger inspired by Lori

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Sure - my email address is on the right. I'd love to see it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home