Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Rosy vision of youth

I received my first birthday card yesterday, predictably from my mom, who included this picture along with the greeting:



What's funny, aside from my expression, is that I have no idea when this photograph was taken. Oh, by the looks of the season and my haircut and the length of my legs, I'm guessing it was the summer of 1979, which would make me about 3 years old. But I have never seen this picture before, have no memory or story associated with it, which is highly unusual for someone who has kept as many photo albums as I have; someone who has insisted Mommy tell her again about how I made the pig face or screamed in Grandma's ear after she drove four hours down to visit. Every photograph has a story, and I thought I knew them all by now.

But this was new to me, if only it weren't so familiar.

Isn't this just the picture of suburban life in the late 1970's? The pink and yellow chaise lounge, rust building at the hinges, positioned on the brick patio to get the last drop of sun as it set across the street. The birdfeeder in the background that would get uprooted ten years later for a deck extending from the back of the house. The narrow garden along the line of the basement, sprouting sparse but significant signs of life. I hold a wooden clothespin in my chubby hand.

This was the house I grew up in, the house my mom lived in until 2003, when she finally sold it and moved to something smaller in a neighboring town. But in 1979, we had lived there for less than two years. My parents were still married, and I'm guessing, fulfilling someone's dream of family life in suburbia. My mom was not even 29, and still five years away from starting her own business, but she was probably more of an adult then than I am now.

By the time I moved out for college, weeds obscured much of the brick in the patio. The deck had been instrumental in the tanning needs of my teenage years, but eventually required more upkeep than we could manage. The clothesline had been removed with the birdfeeder years before, and while we did keep a garden for many years, that, too demanded more attention than either of us wanted to give. Eventually, it was forgotton and left to grow in, just the way the rest of the memories have been clouded by age and change.

"I've been missing you a lot lately", my mom wrote in the card. She couldn't have known back then that her only child would one day move so far away. She couldn't have imagined anything except a rosy-hued future, what with everything one could want literally in her own back yard.

Or could she? Was she worried then about her marriage or about work or that she was subjected to the suburbs, defying the picture-perfect image of Pleasantville? Is it possible that not every picture is worth 1000 words, or tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth? I can't help but wonder about the story behind this photo.

I miss her greatly, of course, as well as the days when she was all I needed on a summer afternoon. Before the landscape of our lives changed and sent me down a different, so very distant path. Things seemed so much simpler then. Although I'm sure "simple" tells only half the story.

Labels:



7 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

You just made me cry. Big, plopping tears. Yup. And I'm not even battling hormones right now! Ha!

Sounds to me like you and I have a somewhat similar past; while we have trudged our way and made it through "just fine", those memories (the sad, bad, and good) are never very far from the surface, reminding us every day how far we've come...and how far we still have yet to go.

Great post, Lori!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Diana said...

I was just about to say the same thing Amy. I grew up an only child wiht my mom in the 70's. My mom was 21 when I was born so you can imagine the life she was giving up to raise me. (even though every now and again she hit up the disco's and got her groove on- can you blame her?) I too have pics just like that. You definitely brought tears to my eyes when thinking about how I've moved clear acros the country. The guilt I have for that is sometimes overwhelming. And my 2.5 year old son just dug the guilt knife in further this morning when he asked me totally out of the blue, "where's nana mommy?" as if for the 1st time he realized they weren't a car ride away.

boooooo.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Diana said...

BTW- booo was to my feelings of guilt and missing my home. Not your post. Just to clarify- your post was beautiful.. Ok.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks, guys. And yes, Diana, I know The Guilt. I know The Guilt so well.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first comment on your blog. You're a great writer, by the way.

Oh, and HI AMY!

This post struck home for me. My mom died in 1969, when I was 4 years old, and my dad brought me up. He was 24 when I was born, so can you just imagine, a 28 year old guy with a 4 year old daughter? With him doing it all, playing mommy and daddy to me? Wild.

Anyway. It was just me and my dad. Even when I moved out on my own(when I was 23), we had breakfast together every Sunday. We talked every day. We lived 5 minutes away from each other.

That lasted for 17 years.

And then, when I was 40, I moved from Montreal (home) to Connecticut and got married. Yeah, he was happy that I FINALLY got married, but it was soooo hard for both of us for me to move away.

Like he always says, I'll always be his little girl. As you'll always be your mom's little girl.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Second comment should have been part of the first. This is what happens when you get old like me. You forget stuff. Thank God I look 28, though.

Yeah. The thing that I forgot before:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks, Dawn, and welcome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home