Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Deal, or no deal?

Here's a question for anyone who works in entertainment, or who is just as obsessed with pop culture as I am: What is up with the overly-gratuitous promotion of Fox's American Idol on NBC's Today Show?

There's the obvious question in my mind - why is NBC promoting a show on Fox? Don't they have shows of their own to promote? Aren't they, in a sense, driving viewers away from NBC programming over to Fox, at least on Tuesdays and Wednesdays? I checked the NBC schedule for both those days, and while I suppose I can see them skipping over promotions for Tuesday's Dateline and Deal or No Deal, it boggles my mind why they'd prefer to drive viewers away from the critically-acclaimed but ratings-challenged Friday Night Lights on Wednesday.

When the Today Show's Idol coverage started in excess last season, I thought maybe they were just trying to position themselves as frontrunners in pop culture. After all, they had started doing weekly segments with VH1/Viacom's Best Week Ever, so I thought they were trying to develop favor among a more youthful market. But BWE, which runs all weekend on cable, isn't a direct competitor or a threat to NBC. Fox, as the number four network, isn't exactly a threat, but I thought this kind of promotion was a basic no-no in the business.

Even if I could understand NBC promoting another network's show, I really don't understand the AMOUNT of promotion they are doing for it. I only heard bits and pieces in the background yesterday, but this morning, as they spent never-ending minutes "dogging" Randy Jackson and recapping last night's rejects butchering ballads, I got so annoyed I had to put the television on mute until the commercial break. While I did tune out towards the end, I would estimate that the entire segment lasted at least 7 minutes - which is huge. The average segment runs 4 to 6 minutes, and I don't think they even spend that long on The Apprentice. (Although they have certainly covered the Rosie and Donald war to death.)

I assume an exchange of money must have taken place for such superfluous coverage; however I am confused as to how that works with journalistic integrity and pay for play and all that. And if money isn't the issue, what on earth is NBC getting out of this deal?

On my drive to work this morning, I was turned to Ryan Seacrest, and who was he interviewing? Matt Lauer! What on earth does Matt have to offer KIIS listeners? Those of us who listen to the radio on our morning drive certainly aren't the audience for the upcoming fourth hour of Today. And a radio interview doesn't seem like a fair trade for two days of excessive coverage on the number one morning TV show.

What am I missing, people? (Besides a life...)

Labels:



5 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

It's all about PR baby. They've realized that nothing is bigger right now than Idol and they've decided if they can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I Tivo'd idol and I'm so excited to watch it. Am I 13?

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a government cover-up to draw attention away from far too many unpopular foreign policies, the onsaught of the inconvenient truth of global climate change, Chicago winning another Superbowl, a discontent of the nations political leaders and an increased national budget deficit so people will go farther into debt and stay away from their televisions.

NOJ for President 2008!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks, Nicole - I was hoping you might have some insight. The PR part I get. But I don't understand how they can justify driving viewers away from their own programs to watch something on another network. Unless they are planning to be the next CW, it doesn't make any sense to me.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

Well - you're right. It shouldn't make sense.

BUT - here's the thing, in the world of television and particularly for a news program, their rules are different in regard to what they advertise. Given enough money and enough popularity, they will promote whatever is popular at the time because in the long run, aren't they still bringing viewers to their show and then in turn their network?

I realize that many networks hope to counter program shows to pull viewers away from AI but even "Lost" is moved to 10pm so they don't get killed.

At this point, the producers and NBC in general will lose some to win some.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

Journalistic integrity... I think thats where you're going wrong with this sweetheart. There is none of that left in the world so all we have now now are the signs of what I like to call the journalistic apocalypse. Don't worry, it'll all be over soon and when it is, Pamela Anderson will be reading the news on all the stations which will all be owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Kisses,

Lola x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home