Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A face for radio

I have mixed feelings about admitting that over the last six months of my morning commute I have become a regular fan of Howard Stern. I change the channel at bathroom jokes and some of his more annoying sidekicks, but when he loses the 7th grade humor, he's brilliantly funny. And, as someone who makes their living dealing with the media, I have a sincere appreciation for his interview style and the way he can coax just about anything out of any guest.

So I'm pretty bummed that he's leaving terrestrial radio for satellite, yet enjoying the onslaught of press he's getting for the move. Part of my enjoyment has come from seeing the physical persona of a radio personality on a visual medium. While I've caught glimpses of him here and there on E!, I still think of him as he portrayed himself in Private Parts - long shaggy hair, crooked nose. I didn't REALLY realize how much he'd physically changed until this press tour, and I have to throw some things out there for discussion.

First, he's had an obvious, albeit good, nose job since the early years. Since it's Howard, I'm inclined to think it may be reconstructive (i.e. from a sucker punch) than cosmetic (vanity), but then again, if I were getting this kind of publicity, I wouldn't stop at my nose. Next, his hair has gone from 80's rocker to 80's housewife, and the whole look just reminds me of Barbra Streisand. If the mirror really does have two faces, I guess he can be considered Funny Guy.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home